How do I archive (or delete) an old password?

Daroc
Daroc
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Windows

I'm test-driving 1Password and made the mistake of importing all my passwords from Firefox, which I didn't realize included many old unused passwords. I'd like to take this opportunity to "clean up" my list to have only active passwords but can't seem to figure out how to get rid of unwanted passwords. I see the "archive" bin in the lower left but can't actually move anything there. (If i try to drag a password there, I get a circle/slash icon instead.) After reading the forum I did try setting up an "old passwords" vault and I can move things there but I'd really prefer to just clean things up and delete them.

I'm clearly misunderstanding something and any advice would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:delete password

Comments

• Daroc
    Daroc
    Community Member

I'll answer my own question in case it helps other newbies: It appears you must use the stand-alone app (not a browser extension) to archive or delete items.

As a new user, I'm still wrapping my head around the various "places" 1Password exists (desktop app, browser extension, mobile app, etc) and the differences between these.

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2021

Hi @Daroc , thanks for this question. I hope the following information is helpful!

There is a way to archive (or permanently delete) items in 1Password in your browser, which is the little 1Password app you can find in your browser's toolbar. Here's how it works:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar
    2. Select the item of interest, then the three-vertical-dots-shaped button (the "vertical ellipsis")
    3. Choose either archive or delete from the menu

It's true as well that you can archive or delete items from the 1Password for Windows desktop app. In that case:

(these instructions are for 1Password 8. Feel free to let me know if you're running a different version.)

1. Unlock the app as usual
    2. Likewise select the vertical ellipsis button
    3. Choose either archive or delete.

And in this app you can also drag the items to the archive in the left panel, as you mentioned. 👍

In terms of the general organization of the app, we've tried to put the "daily driving" tasks - like those having to do with filling credentials into websites, determine where items created in the browser are saved, and so on - in the browser app. For non-browser tasks, or tasks that are more intensive (like general organization of items), those tend to be in the 1Password for Windows desktop app.

We're always interested to hear your feedback on how those choices work for you, as well. The idea is to try to put the settings where they are most useful and make the most sense, so we'll be happy to know how it's working out, or any suggestions on how we can do it better! 😃

• Daroc
    Daroc
    Community Member

Ah, very helpful. Thanks.

I think my primary problem was trying to work from the my.1password.com/home site, instead of using either the app or the browser extension. I'm not even sure how/why I started there, frankly. Like I said, just downloaded, am test-driving, and still trying to wrap my head around the various ways to access.

• Absolutely, thanks @Daroc. We hope that your experience of getting to know the app is a pleasant one, and we're here for any further questions you may have!

This discussion has been closed.