Custom icon size recommendation

sovanbu
sovanbu
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

What is the preferred image size for the preview icon?

An example would be when you add an apple login by default it downloads an avatar from their website. I think it's 50 x 50 but not sure.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

When I set custom images via drag and drop, I use 512x512 app icons whenever possible so they scale well to different sizes. It's probably overkill, but as long as the image is square and at least 128x128 it should look good. 48px would be the minimum otherwise it will be upscaled even in Shelves layout.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Thank you sir for the quick reply!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is my pleasure to help. :)

Cheers!

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Hey again khad. I'm not in 1Password for my Mac, and I cannot see where I can edit the icon at? I see where you can edit the website preview, its a large area. But I don't know where to change the icon.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's the spot. A custom image is for the icon and the preview.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited April 2013

How do you specifically have a preview, which shows the website and a specific icon?

Here is an example of a website that does this.

i.imgur.com/aMkdpAd.jpg

On a side note I created a 500 X 500 jpg for an icon, updated in on my Mac's 1 Password app, resynced and it isn't updating the icon on my phone. Still the Key Hole icon.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

How do you specifically have a preview, which shows the website and a specific icon?

That is something that 1Password does automatically based on the site's favicon or apple-touch-icon. If you set a custom image, it is set for both the icon and the preview.

On a side note I created a 500 X 500 jpg for an icon, updated in on my Mac's 1 Password app, resynced and it isn't updating the icon on my phone. Still the Key Hole icon.

1Password 4 (which is what I presume you are using on your iOS device) does not support custom icons. The icons are provided by an image server in 1Password 4. There is a rather lengthy thread which I think covers the basics of this.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited April 2013

Understood. I appreciate you answering my questions. Thank you!

Btw, you were correct. I was using 1P4 on my iPhone and 1P3 on my Mac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Not a problem at all. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Since there is an official database maintained by Agilebits is it possible to have an area where we can recommend websites that Agilebits can proactively make sure there's an icon?

An example would be a popular bank that's currently not supported, icon wise.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

What's the URL?

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

http://www.pnc.com
    http://www.capitalone.com
    http://www.verizonwireless.com

The first two were the ones I was referring to and then I noticed the last favorite on my list was Verizon that didn't have an image.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

The icons themselves are provided by the site, but one issue I'm seeing is that the login pages are on different subdomains (e.g. servicing.capitalone.com vs capitalone.com). So if the favicon or apple-touch-icon is only on the "naked" domain it won't show up for Logins using the subdomain.

I'll see if there is a better way we can handle this. :)

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Great! Thanks for working on this khad! Let me know how it goes when you have an update.

Thanks again,

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

it is my pleasure to help. I can't promise any time frame, but I've discussed this with the devs to see what we can do.

This discussion has been closed.