Shortcut keys using wrong locale

RandomGuy123
RandomGuy123
Community Member

I'm trying to rebind the "Show Quick Access" command to control + alt + # but it seems 1PW has problems with my locale. My Winows locale is US English but my keyboard layout is German QWERTZ and it seems that 1PW assumes the US QWERTY layout. When I press control + alt + # to set the shortcut, 1PW sets it to control + alt + \. But when I then try to use the same keys to execute the command, nothing happens.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• tsauer
    tsauer
    Community Member

It's a known problem since the 1Password 8 beta but somehow it doesn't get any priority at all.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

It was reported quite early during early access, acknowledged by support and ignored like many other obvious regressions and bugs.

• Hi @RandomGuy123:

Thanks for letting us know. This is something that we're aware of, and are actively investigating. I've added your input to the issue we have tracking this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#10038

• RandomGuy123
    RandomGuy123
    Community Member

Hey @jack.platten,

thank you for the update. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any debugging help, this issue bothers me a lot. I'm a software dev so you can use tech speak if that helps somehow.

• Hey @RandomGuy123:

Thanks for following up on this. While at the moment we don't need any debugging help, I'll be sure to get in touch if we do. Thanks for your generous offer! :smile:

Jack

• RandomGuy123
    RandomGuy123
    Community Member

I found an easy workaround.
    1. Open 1Password and set your keyboard shortcuts in the settings (they will be displayed wrong, we'll ignore this).
    2. Close 1Password (make sure it's closed completely and not running in the tray area).
    3. Open Explorer and go to "%localappdata%\1Password\settings".
    4. Make a backup copy of the "settings.json" file in case something goes wrong.
    5. Open the "settings.json" file with a text editor of your choice (like notepad).
    6. Search the file for your previously configured keyboard shortcuts, they should be easy to find.
    7. Now go to keycode.info and press the key that you actually want to use (without any modifiers like control or shift).
    8. This website will show you a number for each key that you press. Copy or remember that number.
    9. Open the US key code mapping table. This table contains the symbols that make up the US keyboard layout and their respective key codes. Search the table for your number and copy the associated symbol.
    10. Now that you have the correct symbol, we have to transform it so the format of the settings file understands it (we have to escape the json string). For that, go to jsonformatter.org, paste the symbol into the left text field, click "Escape" and copy whatever comes out on the right hand side (it may or may not be the exact same as the left hand side).
    11. Go back to your settings.json file and replace the symbol in your keyboard shortcut with the symbol you just copied from the text field.
    12. Repeat for every shortcut you want to fix, save the file and restart 1PW.

Your shortcuts should now work with the correct keys.

Example:
    I wanted to set "Win+#" as a shortcut, so I opened 1PW, pressed Win and # on my keyboard and closed 1PW afterwards. I opened the settings.json file and found my shortcut on line 5:

"keybinds.quickAccess": "Meta+\\",

I went to keycode.info and pressed # which gave me the number 191. Then I searched the US key code mapping table for 191 and found the associated symbol /. Then I went to jsonformatter.org and typed / in the left text field, clicked "Escape", and got back a / in the right text field (so in my case it didn't change).

Finally, I went back to the settings.json file and replaced the last part of the keyboard shortcut with the new symbol from the text field, which then looked like this:

"keybinds.quickAccess": "Meta+/",

I saved the file and restarted 1PW. Now I can use Win+# as my shortcut.

• Hey @RandomGuy123:

Thanks for your detailed workaround here! As some good news, we've implemented a fix that should improve your state of play when setting keyboard shortcuts in today's beta release. If you'd like to try and and see how it behaves, you're more than welcome to! :smile: Use 1Password beta releases

Jack

This discussion has been closed.