Keyboard Shortcuts For Safari Extension?

Options
13»

Comments

• brad73435
    brad73435
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to 1password8 and, working in a Safari/Google Docs world all day, I immediately ran into this.

+1 for prioritizing a way to disable this "feature".

Thx

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brad73435 I've added your voice to the support request that we have for this. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• glawster11
    glawster11
    Community Member
    Options

I've also stumbled into this Safari 1password CMD+SHIFT+X shortcut clash problem this morning. My not-terribly-adequate solution is to disable the 1password extension (Safari menu > Settings > remove the blue tick next to the 1password extension) while using Google Docs.
    This shortcut definitely needs to be changed. Since CMD+SHIFT+SPACE brings up the 1password quick access menu, is a shortcut for the Safari extension even necessary???

• Hey @glawster11,

I can definitely see your point here, I have passed your feedback on to the team.

I'm sorry for the trouble.

• coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

This 1Password Safari Extension bug affects the editing of documents in both M365 and Google Docs applications on macOS. The AgileBits developers chose to use the de-facto standard macOS keyboard shortcut for Strikethrough (SHIFT-CMD-X) for the 1PSE pop-up.

Whilst M365 applications presents a 'Strikethrough' icon on the toolbar, Google Docs only presents the option via its Format > Text > Strikethrough menu option. Neither platform currently allows the keyboard shortcut associated with the "Strikethrough" option to be changed (and instead uses the "standard" keyboard shortcut for macOS/Windows). So the 1PSE makes it quite tricky to access this standard text-editing feature.

As it has now been almost a year since this bug was reported, could you please provide some idea of when it might be fixed, and why this is taking so long?

If user-selection of a keyboard shortcut (via a preference) isn't possible, would 'ALT-CMD-\' be a possible alternative? (I appreciate that 'SHIFT-CMD-\' is used by Safari's "Show Tab Overview" by default).

Thanks,
    Steve

• mb1pass
    mb1pass
    Community Member
    Options

Agree with everyone here. Please at least let us turn off shortcuts. It makes using Google Docs strikethrough shortcut impossible. It now seems this is even the case in Chrome?

• @mb1pass

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 1Password for Safari doesn't currently include a way to change an extension's keyboard shortcuts and we're working with our partners at Apple to find a solution. I've passed along your suggestion to the team.

For other browsers, such as Chrome, you can change the extension's keyboard shortcuts. For example in Chrome you can change keyboard shortcuts here: chrome://extensions/shortcuts

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9365

• Sam_Martin
    Sam_Martin
    Community Member
    Options

Coming here to upvote this bug fix. It makes working in Google Suite (docs, drawings, sheets, etc.) so unnecessarily difficult. To co-opt a long-standing Mac shortcut is poor form on the part of your developers.

Please update us on when a fix will be ready to roll out.

• Hey @Sam_Martin,

I have passed this on to the team, apologies for the disruption to your workflow!

ref: dev/core/core#9365

• patryk
    patryk
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys,

+1 for this... could you perhaps change the shortcut to something else instead? This must be frustrating not just for Safari users but for Chrome users too.

It's strikethrough in Google Docs, it's x-ray mode in Webflow (super useful). Unlike 1Pass, these shortcuts are limited to the app and 1Pass overrides all apps and doesn't offer any way to release such shortcut.

I think this shortcut should be changed to something more unique and not interfere with our apps.

Had to uninstall 1Password extension in order to be able to work.

• Hi @patryk,

Thanks for sharing your feedback! At the moment, 1Password for Safari doesn't currently include a way to change an extension's keyboard shortcuts and we've raised this with Apple to find a solution.

Chrome users can change the extension's keyboard shortcuts here: chrome://extensions/shortcuts, which allows you to change the shortcut of any extension, including 1Password, if you’re running into conflicts.

I've also filed a feature request on your behalf regarding changing the default key combination for this shortcut for our product team to take a look at. :)

-Samer

ref: PB-38369264