Stay logged in with 1Password for Safari

Options
MelanieIs
MelanieIs
Community Member
edited January 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

The Mac app uses TouchID to log in.
The Firefox/Chrome extensions allow you to set a period of time in which you will not be logged out.
But the #$%^&* 1Password for Safari app needs me to type in my master password about a bajillion times a day - if I quit Safari or if I close and open my laptop. This should be a preference. It's cool on my work computer, but on my home computer, locked with a password, locked in my apartment - it is overkill. And every time I click the lock in the menubar to log in (again!) I'm angry that clicking that dumb icon to log in does not, in fact, focus the login screen - so $%^& I type my password, notice that the field is not in focus, use my mouse to click back on the field to focus it (why isn't that automatic?!) and type it again. Then close my laptop, go make myself a coffee, come back and have to do it again.

About 1.5 into my life with 1Password, most of it is pretty frictionless, but this one thing is terrible UX. Why? Can it be fixed? Is there a keyboard shortcut and will it focus the damn field?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @MelanieIs

Have you tried adjusting your auto-lock settings for the Mac? The Safari extension should share those settings. Additionally, which version of the extension are you using? The filed focus you describe sounds like something is stealing that focus away from 1Password.

🔒 How to set 1Password to lock automatically

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.
    1Password for Safari locks automatically if you quit safari, or (I think) if you shut your laptop. That's by design. It is an annoying design. It would be less annoying if TouchID would work with 1Password for Safari. It would also be a little less annoying if the popup window that wants to collect my long and complex master password 20 times a day would popup+focus, which it is not designed to do.

I wish future designs would fix this bad UX.

• Hi @MelanieIs:

Thanks for providing more info! It sounds like you're using our newer 1Password for Safari extension with 1Password 7 for Mac.

1Password for Safari was designed to integrate with 1Password 8, which is currently in beta for macOS, and does not integrate with 1Password 7. If you'd like to give 1Password 8 a try and allow for 1Password for Safari to stay unlocked after quitting Safari, as well as the ability to use Touch ID with 1Password for Safari, it can be downloaded from the bottom of the Mac downloads page.

Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• celos
    celos
    Community Member
    Options

I've just installed the "1Password for Safari" extension to work with 1PW 7 on the Mac. I'm not running the beta version of 8. My understanding from another thread is that the extension will better integrate with the macOS app in 1PW8.

But to the point in this thread, one thing I'd really like to see in the extension is an option to set it to lock on sleep but not lock after a period of time. When I'm sitting at my computer, working on it, I don't want it to lock after a period of inactivity.

The way the options are set up, in order to have 1PW lock on sleep, you also have to have it lock after a period of time. In the screenshot below, if I de-select "Automatically lock 1Password," then the option for locking on sleep also goes away.

I set my idle time to 99,999 minutes, but that's just silly. There should be a way to lock on sleep but not after idle time, just like the desktop app (below).

• Hi @celos:

Since 1Password 8 for Mac has this functionality (being able to set an idle timer of never), using 1Password 8 alongside 1Password for Safari and using our desktop app integration would give you the results you're looking for. If you're willing to try out the beta of 1Password 8 for Mac already, it can be downloaded here by scrolling down: Best Password Manager for macOS & Safari

If you decide to give 1Password 8 a try, let me know how it goes!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.