Entry types - Logins and Accounts

Options
gengakusha
gengakusha
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Are entries made as Logins and those made as Accounts totally independent of each other?

I've been doing a bit of tidying up and there are two things I would like to do which I have not been able to find a way to do.

The first is change some of my Logins to Accounts. They shouldn't have been Logins in the first place, there is no URL, I just entered the information in the wrong place which means a) it is harder to find and b) it goes into the "fill and submit login" section of the browser extension pop-up if I open it on a blank page. If I have to copy and paste the information into a newly created Account I will but thought it worth checking to see if there is a way of changing the type first (and don't see anything in the documentation or in this forum).

The second is probably more important because it is an ongoing need ... maybe I should have put this first ;). Can Logins and Accounts be linked? (or a single entry made to appear under both headings with the usual fields displayed) There are some circumstances where details are Accounts in that the username and credentials are used independently of a browser, but there is also a web based account management facility which requires a Login. For example an Apple ID: more often than not this is used in iTunes, AppStore or for apparently random prompts on iOS devices and to me the logical place to store these is in an Account. But there are times when you want to log into https://appleid.apple.com to manage the account. Creating two individual entries means they have to be kept in sync if the password is change.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are entries made as Logins and those made as Accounts totally independent of each other?

Yes, in 1Password 3.

The first is change some of my Logins to Accounts.

We have actually simplified this in 1Password 4 (available on iOS now and Mac soon). There is no longer a Generic Account item in 1Password 4. You simply create a Login item with no URL. You're ahead of the curve. :)

…it goes into the "fill and submit login" section of the browser extension pop-up if I open it on a blank page.

There is currently a bug in the extension which lists Login items with no URL, but this will be resolved in an update (RM4094).

Can Logins and Accounts be linked?

I use folders and tags (and Smart Folders) to group items from different categories. I have a "finance" tag which is applied to a bunch of Login and Wallet items, for example.

For example an Apple ID: more often than not this is used in iTunes, AppStore or for apparently random prompts on iOS devices and to me the logical place to store these is in an Account. But there are times when you want to log into https://appleid.apple.com to manage the account. Creating two individual entries means they have to be kept in sync if the password is change.

That is precisely why we have taken strides to eliminate the distinction in 1Password 4. It caused a lot of confusion for folks. If you're using 1Password 4 on your iOS device(s) you should be seeing the direction things are headed in 1Password 4 for Mac. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That was quick!

I'll do my tidying up manually for the moment and wait for version 4 for the rest. I'm not using 1Password on my iPhone at all at the moment as I rarely, if ever, want to log in when I'm using it. I leave that to when I'm in front of my Mac's big screen.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help. Please do let me know if there is anything else that comes up. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.