One-Time Password not working on beta

Options
aurelius
aurelius
Community Member
edited January 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

When I choose the "One-Time Password" option I'm not prompted to do anything to add the OTP. It just gives me a blank box to paste a URL...not the usual pop-up box to put over a QR coce.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• Hi @aurelius:

Currently, to scan a QR code for a one-time password, using 1Password in your browser to scan and add it to your item would be your best bet.

Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• aurelius
    aurelius
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, understood. Thanks!

• aurelius
    aurelius
    Community Member
    Options

Weird I am not seeing that option in the browser. I'm on Brave Browser, 1Password version 2.2.2.

• Hi @aurelius:

The option to scan a QR code will only be available when on on the URL(s) for the Login item. For example, a login for https://twitter.com will only show the option to scan a QR code when you are on https://twitter.com. Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• aurelius
    aurelius
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh...got it. My use case is this: I had the QR code up in an app on my phone, I wanted to scan that QR code (this app doesn't have a web login). Guess that's not currently possible with the Beta.

• Hey @aurelius:

We've been bouncing this around internally and have a few different ideas that might work to get your 2FA working for this service in 1Password.

Today's beta of 1Password 8 does now include a QR code scanner of what's currently on your screen for one-time password codes in the edit view, and with some workarounds, we can get this QR code to be scanned and added to your Login item.

If your Mac has a camera, try displaying the QR code from the service on your phone, and then opening Photo Booth, showing the QR code to your webcam so it displays in the Photo Booth preview, then selecting "add more" > "One-Time Password", then choosing the Scan QR Code button:

If your Mac doesn't have a camera, you can take a screenshot of the QR code from your phone, and add it to your 1Password account. After saving it to your 1Password account, you can preview the screenshot in Quick Look from 1Password on your Mac, and then follow the steps above to scan your screen.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• aurelius
    aurelius
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Jack, appreciate you bouncing this around! I'm very excited about this update, this is a critical step forward for the Beta. Thanks for adding it! I was able to get the QR code added using the method you outlined above on the latest version.

I would like to suggest that you guys keep refining the OTP functionality ... the steps to add an MFA / 2Factor code in the desktop app are still not entirely intuitive:
    1. click "add more"
    2. click "one-time password"
    3. click the little QR code icon

I've been trying to encourage my non-techie family (who already use 1Password) to move away from Google Authenticator and use 1Password instead. Sadly, for most of them, the steps above are too complicated and they give up. It would be great if there were a quicker option to add a OTP/MFA similar to Google Authenticator/Authy. Kind of like you have in the browser example above, but for the desktop app.

Just a suggestion!

Thanks for all you guys do.

• @aurelius

Thanks so much for the feedback! We're glad to hear the beta changes are making life a little easier for you.

I can also appreciate the challenge, alone, that comes with having to onboard non-technical family members and friends. Your feedback is most appreciated and very valuable here. We'll be sure to share it with our development team. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.