HDD Replacement

Options

Hi All, As you may Know Apple has recalled some of the iMacs for HDD replacement. I am concerned about security (obviously) Any suggestions as to what to do with 1Password? remove it? its backed up in the cloud... I can take a seperate back up? what about re-install, Apple say they will wipe the disk before it leaves the store and re-load the new disk, but its still a bit of a concern, any "clear" information and workflow would be graciously received.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question. It is wise to be thinking of these things.

Dropbox and iCloud are only used for syncing. The data itself is always on your devices and (hopefully) on your backups as well. You are making backups aren't you?

If you are syncing with your Mac, you can simply backup your data on the Mac using Time Machine, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, or a variety of other backup solutions. It is also wise to have an offsite backup solution, perhaps something CrashPlan, Carbonite, Mozy, or similar. If you backup your entire drive your 1Password data will obviously be included. If you only backup your Home folder your 1Password data will be included as well. These are typical defaults in backup solutions.

A solid backup strategy is part of good computing hygiene. If you lose all of your computers and devices and your house burns down, you can still get access to your offsite backup and restore from there. 1PasswordAnywhere is available in any modern browser via the Dropbox website (presuming you are syncing via Dropbox) and even via any offline local backup (such as Time Machine).

As long as you have verified backups, you can confidently wipe the drive yourself before taking it in if you prefer to not leave that to Apple.

Of course, all that said, your secrets in your 1Password data are safe wherever they are stored. Although we don’t recommend making your 1Password database publicly available to the world, we have designed it so that your username and password data (along with other secret data stored within it) is protected no matter whose hands they fall into. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.