Linked Apps

Thanos92
Thanos92
Community Member
edited January 2022 in Android

Hello! I wanna know how can i linked an app to an already saved login! For example:

I have 1 saved site login and i wanna add to this saved login the option when i open the Android app to can fill it too :)

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 / Android 12

Comments

• Thanos92
    Thanos92
    Community Member

Anyone to help ?

• ag_audrey
    edited January 2022

Hey @Thanos92, thanks for reaching out to us! I'd love to help you with linking your apps :)

Since we do not want to take risks with your private data and insert it where you may not want it inserted, we leave it up to you to decide if you want a given app to have access to a given Login. After the first time you've used a Login in an app, we create a link between the two so we can offer it for filling from then on. Therefore, all you'll need to do is Autofill with the Login in the app!

Hope that helps, and let us know if you have any further questions :)

• lv4the1
    lv4the1
    Community Member

ag_audrey, I do not get this option when trying to login to desktop app Microsoft TEAMS. I cannot copy paste and after I have logged in there is no option with 1password to allow autofill. Should I try this on my phone instead?. Should I simply use TEAMS within the browser? Thank you

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member

I think , ag_audrey, that your description helps me with my other post from 2 days ago.

However, while I laud your / 1PWs / AgileBits concern for safety/security, I have to be honest. For those of us migrating from other password managers (BW in my case), or just for the public in general.... this extra set of 5 steps (click "search for entry", find the entry, click on the entry, then click "OK to use this entry") is a kind of a pain in the rear.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'll say that I'm already so busy in life, why can't there be an option to globally make the match if we already have the website or android association already in the Login entry?

There are ways to be secure, and then there are ways to put up speedbumps.

Could you folks please consider giving the option to not have this extra set of steps?

Thanks!!!! Can't wait to hear back :)

• Hello @FrankBreech thanks for joining the conversation. I definitely agree streamlining this process would be beneficial when importing from other password managers. I have passed along your comments to the development team. Thanks again for sharing your interest in this!

• dcd1password
    dcd1password
    Community Member

On this topic, I have a 600+ accounts in 1Password, many of which are also apps on my Android, for example, PayPal. However, I cannot figure out how to link the PayPal app to my 1Password entry. How do I create a link from 1Password to the Android PayPal app?

• Hi @dcd1password!

If you have saved a Login to a web site you can link it to an app by autofilling with the Login for the website. 1Password will ask you to confirm that you want to autofill the website's Login credentials into the app. When confirmed, the link to the app will be created.

Hope that helps!

• dcd1password
    dcd1password
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

That's not exactly what I was thinking. I just logged into the Subway web site using the 1Password credentials without issue, both on my laptop and on my Android browser. I checked the Subway entry in 1Password, and there's no linked application listed.

When I opened the Subway Android App and attempted to login, 1Password didn't offer to fill in the credentials: I typed them in manually, and 1Password didn't link the Subway app, either. When I opened the entry for Subway, it didn't show a Linked application, like PayPal does.

The PayPal entry clearly shows the login credentials as well as a linked application, and 1Password properly prompts me to fill in the login details.

The question, then, is how to link or re-link 1Password entries to show the application installed on the phone.

1Password should scan installed apps and update the linked App to match a login entry or allow me to manually select a linked app from a list of installed entries for a given login. Conversely, if an app is already linked, even if it's not installed, 1Password should not change it.

• Hello @dcd1password thanks for following up with us.

If an app supports Autofill you can tap the 1Password prompt, select "Search 1Password", select your Login item from the list then approve your selection by tapping "Autofill" in the dialogue box. After approving your selection a link to the app will be created in the Login item.

It looks like the Subway app redirects you to the Subway website within the app for sign in so linking as I described won't work. Instead you can edit your subway item to include a website field with "subway.com". You mentioned you can sign in to Subway through a browser on your Android device so there is likely already a website field saved in your Subway item. When you open the Subway app, tap Sign in then tap the email field do you see any prompt from 1Password? If you edit your item and add an additional website field with "subway.com" is the item now suggested?

• mpfc75
    mpfc75
    Community Member

I too am having problems linking android apps to 1Password. My latest example is with Instacart but it happens to most apps it seems. I have a login to Instacart that works on the website. I later installed the app on my android phone. When I get the apps login screen I never seem to get 1Password to offer to fill in the id or the password. I guess if I could then I would get the prompt to confirm that I want to autofill the website's Login credentials into the app,

• Hey @mpfc75 thanks for your comments! I just pulled up Instacart and it looks like you need to force Autofill in the app. Open the Instacart app > tap login > long press (tap and hold) the email field > tap ⋮ > tap Autofill. After tapping Autofill you should be able to use the prompt from 1Password as usual.

Let us know how that goes!

• mpfc75
    mpfc75
    Community Member

Hello @ag_timothy. That worked great! Thanks so much. Now I have work to do to set up my other android apps.

• mpfc75
    mpfc75
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Ahhh, one qualification... I logged out to try it all the way through after linking the app. I still have to hold the email field and tap the menu and select Autofill. Then 1Password prompts me. Is that what you expect? I thought once linked that it would work like in a browser... I thought 1Password would just prompt me (above my keyboard) without having to do menu>autofill.

Still much better though.

• ag_timothy
    edited October 2022

Hello @mpfc75 thanks for following up with us! I'm glad to hear that helped you sign in to Instacart.

The long press > ⋮ > Autofill steps are not expected behavior but are required in some apps and websites. With Autofill and Autofill previews enabled you will see the prompt from 1Password after tapping a login field in most apps and websites. In some cases, apps do not provide us enough contextual clues for us to be able to determine that we should offer Autofill so forcing it is required. In others, Autofill may be blocked or otherwise interfered with so that we cannot Autofill at all. If you find an app or website where Autofill is blocked, you can try using split screen mode to drag and drop your credentials.

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Woohoo! @ag_timothy you are my new hero! Your advice on long press >:>Autofill has solved so many of my 1Password misery of late. I don't know whether this is something that happened with v8 or on the OS, and frankly, at this stage, I don't really care. Just really grateful for your very hand tip that's helped me solve my problems. Thanks, again.

• adamorphosis
    adamorphosis
    Community Member

Can you assist re: the Epic/MyChart app? Every time, I have to use extra button presses to call up the search field and press the first few letters of the app name to get it to autofill. I understand that for this particular app there may be a few reasons why it can’t Autofill (HIPAA plus the fact that this app is tied to different login servers depending which healthcare system I am trying to log in to) but I don’t understand why it can’t at least pull up the possible logins that match the MyChart site and let me choose which one to fill. Also, I have typed in “MyChart.com” into the website field and that did not help.

• Happy I could help @Wilhelm!

Hi @adamorphosis, thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with MyChart, I know that can be a tricky one because, as you mentioned, each login portal can be a little different.

That being said, the in-app sign in pages I checked in the MyChart app did suggest my test Login item. I'd like to ask you to check that Show filling suggestions is on under Settings > Autofill and that Show filling suggestions from is set to the account or collection that contains your MyChart item.

If Show filling suggestions is on, and the appropriate account or collection is selected and you still don't see suggestions, I'd like to ask you to check your MyChart items for an app link. You can search for and open your item to see if there's a linked app similar to my example below.

Let us know how that goes and thanks again!

• rdch
    rdch
    Community Member

I have this question too - any answers?

• rdch
    rdch
    Community Member

I have this question too - any answers?

• Hi @rdch, thanks for writing in.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, has there been an issue with suggested items for the MyChart app on your device?

• delaskoff
    delaskoff
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

This is good point for security measures. HOWEVER what if I ALREADY logged in and I DON'T want to reauthenticate to any other app? I've also migrated from BW and it had an application link represented as android app link. I could use that setup but instead I'm required to reauthenticate for linking purpose for my 200 records 🥴

• Hey @delaskoff, thanks for joining the thread!

I can definitely understand the pain point of having to link hundreds of new Logins. We've passed your feedback to our product team for consideration and appreciate that you've chimed in with your experience!

• Andy1P
    Andy1P
    Community Member

Hi I have a similar issue, it's with a rail booking app. I've linked the app but always only get offered the login by 1PW, which I have no problem remembering. I cannot get 1PW to fill the password, and if I open 1PW from the field popup I have to find the right login. I tried the long press autofill both with and without the app associated, still no password.

• Sorry to hear it @Andy1P! It sounds like this might be an app specific issue rather than an issue caused by an app link. If you let us know which rail booking app you've seen this behavior with, I'd be happy to take a look and report any issues to the team.

• Andy1P
    Andy1P
    Community Member

This is the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.firstgreatwestern @ag_timothy I’d be interested if it works for you.

• Hi @Andy1P,

Thanks for sharing the name of the rail booking app you've seen this issue with. I was able to get this app to fill by first changing the Display Autofill Prompts option to Below the fields they relate to in the 1Password 8 for Android app. The steps on how to change this setting are below:

1. Open the 1Password 8 for Android app
    2. Tap the account/collection icon in the top right
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill
    4. Tap Display autofill prompts then tap Below the fields they relate to

Once I opened the First Great Western login section in the app, 1Password initially offered Identity fields instead of login items to autofill. I then tapped the Password field in the First Great Western app, then tapped Open 1Password followed by the login item I want to fill the login fields with, then tapped Fill & Update Login.

This led to both the username and password field being filled and the login item appearing as an autofill suggestion when I tapped the login fields in the app.

Trying to autofill by tapping the username field only filled the username field during my testing, so it appears tapping the Password field and autofilling from this field is required to fill both fields.

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

• Andy1P
    Andy1P
    Community Member

Hi @BrendanR1P that's great. I followed the instructions and it doesn't automatically complete both fields but it does come up with the credentials when I tap into each field. Thanks for taking the time to figure it out and write it down.

• Hi @Andy1P thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear Brendan's steps have helped.