Open 1PW using Face ID - Is there a problem?

Chevalier
Chevalier
Community Member
edited January 2022 in iOS

Last few days I've wasted more time using 1PW having to log in to it every damn time (DESPITE Face ID being toggled on in Security) than 1 PW has saved me! I expected to need to log in after the update to IOS 15.2.1 but not EVERY SINGLE TIME since. I've now logged into it AGAIN and gone to Security and Face ID is ON. I have toggled it off and on again and now it's working again, at least for now. If it happens again it'll be in the trash while I look for something else. I use these apps to make life easier not harder. I've had this problem often over the last few months, it seems to be getting quite unreliable.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 15.2.1

Comments

• Hello @Chevalier! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that Face ID for 1Password isn't working consistently on your iOS device. Is this happening when you're filling your login into another app or when you're unlocking the main 1Password app itself? Can you tell me what the Require Master Password setting is set to? You can find it here:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap on Settings.
    3. Tap on Advanced.
    4. Tap on Security.
    5. Change Require Master Password.

I look forward to hearing from you. :)

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

It happens when I get a site or app that requires a password which I attempt to fill in using the 1PW prompt that appears at the top of the keyboard. My Require Master Password is set to every 2 weeks.

Thinking about the last few times this has happened, I can't be sure, but it seems that I am required to input my master password following a re-start (e.g. as a result of a software update) which I expect to have to do but that the app then fails to 'remember' that the Face ID toggle is already set to 'On' so the app STILL requires the master password. Only toggling the switch to off and then on again seems to register that I want to use Face ID.

As an aside, is it really necessary to have the 'Draft Saved at time' pop-up slide in and out after every keystroke when typing on the forums? It's extremely distracting and annoying to be typing and having this slide out literally every 2 seconds!

• @Chevalier

Thank you for the reply. The next time that this happens please open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen using your account password. Once this is done you'll be able to use Face ID when invoking 1Password in other apps.

We're investigating the "Draft saved" notification issue. It's definitely not something that we intend to have happen and hopefully the issue can be resolved soon. :)

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

That’s what I do now. The first time Face ID doesn’t work I use the Master Password to open the app. The trouble is it STILL doesn’t work the next time AFTER doing that, the next time it will ask for my password AGAIN. So I then have to toggle Face ID off then on again to get the app to use Face ID, otherwise it will ask again. Using the master password the first time it happens DOES NOT revert the app back to using FACE ID every time, despite it being selected.

• @Chevalier

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry to hear that Face ID still isn't working as expected for you. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

I'll do it next time it happens. 1PW will otherwise become more of a problem than it's worth if I'm spending this much time on it. It works now but the extra step I have to take to get it to work again after an update is to turn off Face ID and then turn it on again, that is IN ADDITION, to the step of just entering the master password after an update which supposedly is all that's needed.

• @Chevalier

You shouldn't need to turn Face ID off and then back on in order to get it working again after an update. At most you should only have to unlock the main 1Password app using your account password. If the issue happens again then please generate and send in a diagnostic report and we can investigate further. :)

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

Yeah I thought it was strange. Fully expect to have to put the master password in the first time using the app after an update. Just surprised I was still getting prompted to enter it after that. Toggling Face ID off/on was the only way I found to 'fix' it.

It's happened a few times with each of the recent iOS updates. I'll wait for the next one.

• @Chevalier

Sounds good. Hopefully the issue won't reoccur but if it does then please don't hesitate to reach out. :)

This discussion has been closed.