Allowing local app integration from Vivaldi

Options
gruinard
gruinard
Community Member

When trying to integrate the Chrome extension, running in Vivaldi, I get the following error message in the local app log when I try to activate the integration between the local app and the extension.

main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:82] UnknownBrowser(/opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin)
        Happened in: native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:90
        Additional error context: /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin isn't a supported browser

Is there a way in which I can add /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin to the list of supported browsers locally?

Comments

• Hey @gruinard:

Thanks for asking! While not enabled by default, support for Vivaldi can be enabled by following these steps:

1. Ensure that 1Password for Linux is installed along with 1Password in your browser, and that browser integration is enabled from Settings → Browser.
    2. Close 1Password completely.
    3. Pop open a terminal, and run sudo mkdir /etc/1password (if you've done this already, you can skip it).
    4. Run cd /etc/1password.
    5. Run sudo gedit custom_allowed_browsers.
    6. Paste in the appropriate browser code - such as opera or vivaldi-bin.
    7. Save the file.
    8. In terminal, run sudo chown root:root /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers && sudo chmod 755 /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers
    9. Run 1Password - it will read our new config file and make the appropriate connections.
    10. Launch your browser!

If you downloaded 1Password for Linux from the Snap Store, due to sandboxing 1Password is unable to communicate with the browsers. Using our direct downloads available here would sort everything out: Get the 1Password for Linux app

Just as an additional note, it seems like your thread caught in our spam filter and resulted in duplicates, so I've deleted them. :smile: Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble along the way!

Jack

• gruinard
    gruinard
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @jack.platten, adding the custom_allowed_browsers solved the issue. Is there some kind of documentation where I can find information about stuff like this? In the case of custom allowed browsers, is it always just the name of the binary that is required?

About step 8 in the procedure.

In terminal, run sudo chown root:root /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers && sudo chmod 755 /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers

Do I really need this step? If the editor is running as sudo, the file should be created with owner root:root and permissions 644, on my machine this was enough to get it working. Is there a reason why I should make it executable for anyone?

Just as an additional note, it seems like your thread caught in our spam filter and resulted in duplicates, so I've deleted them. :smile: Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble along the way!

Sorry about that. The message kept showing up in "Drafts" so I thought it wasn't being posted and tried again (a couple of times). I only meant to actually post it once. Thanks for saving it from the spam folder.

• Happy to hear that you have this working for you.

I can confirm that you should not need to set the executable bit for this configuration file. We usually suggest users separately call chown and chmod because it is sometimes the wild west with different umask configurations out there. If the file is owned by root and cannot be written to by other users, you should be in good shape.

• leandrojmp
    leandrojmp
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Is there any reason for Vivaldi no being supported by default? Any plan to add it? The first time I had this issue was one year ago, and I've posted in this topic, from that time till now I made a couple clean install in multiple computers and every time I need to manually configure the integration.

• Hey @leandrojmp, we don't officially support browser integration for Vivaldi on Linux. With that said, I can add a feature request on your behalf to see if this is something we can implement in a future release. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-1703

This discussion has been closed.