Generate Password > Save & Copy opens new browser tab

Options
braindump
braindump
Community Member
edited February 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

When clicking "Save & Copy" in Generate Password using 1Password Mini, a new browser tab is opened to the site for which the password was intended to be generated.

Use case:

1. Open web page requiring a password,
  2. Place cursor in password field on page,
  3. Open 1Password Mini,
  4. Click "+ Generate Password",
  5. Configure password characteristics,
  6. Click Save & Copy.

Expected results:
– Password is generated,
– New item saved in 1Password with password & website address,
– Password is copied to clipboard.

Actual results:
– Password is generated,
– New item saved in 1Password with new password & website address,
– Password is copied to clipboard.
– New browser tab is opened to the web page from which Generate Password was selected.

I do not see how this behavior is useful. For many websites, the password field is one of multiple fields on a form, which are likely to be user populated by the time a password is chosen. When 1Password opens a new browser tab after clicking Save & Copy, no fields are repopulated in the new window, it displays the page in its default state. The only functional options for that new page are to fill out the form again or close the tab.

How can I generate, save & copy a new password using Generate Password in 1Password Mini without 1Password opening a new browser window to the site? I've looked through preferences in the main app & the browser extensions, but don't see how to control this.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @braindump, thanks for your detailed message. I am unable to replicate the behavior that you've described. When I click to Save & Copy, the newly generated password is copied to my clipboard but a new browser window does not open. If that is indeed what's happening from your computer, I would love to see a screen recording of it so that I can investigate further. Could you take a screen recording and email it to us at support+forum@1password.com?

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, thanks for the response. I actually figured it out. Looking again at preferences for the macOS app, I see that I had Browsers > Open logins in set to New Tab. When changing that setting to Current Tab, a new tab was no longer opened when Save & Copy was clicked.

Thanks again, no further support needed.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I appreciate the update @braindump. I'm glad that things are working well now. Please let us know if you have any other questions or run into any other issues. Have a great rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.