How to report crashes?

Options

1Password 8.6.0-3.NIGHTLY is crashing in the background on a somewhat regular basis on one of my Mac.
How should-I report the crashes? Where/how do you want the crash logs?

Corentin

1Password Version: 8.6.0-3.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @cortig, sorry to hear about these crashes. We'll be happy to take a look at the data and find out what's behind it.

There are two sources of data that could be helpful, if you can get them:

1. Diagnostic report - this is generated by 1Password. You can get this by unlocking the app, then selecting Preferences > Advanced > Send Diagnostics. This will create a file you can attach to your reply to us.

We do understand that in situations where the app crashes rapidly or repeatedly, it may not be possible to get this. That's OK, there's still...

1. The console! You can go to Spotlight and search for Console.app. When the console appears, go to Crash Reports. There may be a bunch of entries here related to 1Password. If you copy / paste the whole thing into a file and send it to us, we'll be interested to check it out.

Of course, both of these involve specifics of your app and system, so we'll ask that you email us at support+mac@1Password.com when you're ready to share this data, rather than sharing in a public forum. 👍

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent the files. Let me know if you need anything else.

Corentin

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2022
    Options

@cortig

Sounds good. Hopefully, we'll have something to share tomorrow when the dev team can review this. Let's keep the conversation going via email as we have a direct line of communication going.

ref: RRX-67394-787

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Does it crash when downloading a new nightly (either on its own schedule or after clicking Check for Updates)? If so, it sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing:

https://1password.community/discussion/126972/mac-crashes-after-downloading-latest-nightly-before-installing#latest

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Does it crash when downloading a new nightly (either on its own schedule or after clicking Check for Updates)? If so, it sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing:

I wouldn't know for sure. It happens in the background for me so I'm not quite sure what the app is doing at the time. It might be attempting to download a nightly build indeed.

Corentin

• Thanks @snozdop and @cortig, we are actively looking into this one and hope to have more for you soon. This may have also been fixed in the most recent Nightly, but we're waiting to hear from folks who've been affected to confirm that that's the case. Anything you can tell us will be helpful!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

@PeterG_1P not fixed yet. The process still crashes in the background when I check for updates.
    It’s a bit weird though, it first says “Downloading update…”, then crashes, then reports that I’m up to date.
    I wonder whether it might crash during the update process, then think it’s up to date even though the update wasn’t applied.
    Is there a direct link somewhere for the latest nightly? I can’t seem to be able to find it. My build says “80600003” but I have no way to figure out whether it is indeed the latest or not.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

I found the installer (not sure it installs the latest beta or the latest nightly build). It’s downloading the app… then it simply tells me something went wrong :-\

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Direct links to the nightlies.

https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password Nightly.zip

I'm on 80600027 so need to wait until the next nightly release to see if it updates without issue.

[Moderator's Edit: Updated with the latest link]

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a million @snozdop !!
    I was faaaar behind. It looks like the crasher in this older build prevented updating altogether.

• Likewise thank you @snozdop for providing that link.

We'll look forward to hearing how things are for you with the Nightly. We're tracking this one!

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I've just tried using the built-in updater to update from the manually downloaded 80600027 Nightly, but unfortunately it still crashes after the download, but before installing.

I've now downloaded the 80600028 Nightly manually so I'll try again tomorrow for the next nightly release.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I've just tried using the built-in updater to update from the manually downloaded 80600027 Nightly, but unfortunately it still crashes after the download, but before installing.

Same thing for me…

Corentin

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I've just tried to use the built-in updater again to update from the 80600028 NIGHTLY to today's release (80600030), but it still crashes after downloading the update.

Although I was told changes have been made recently, the last few nighties haven't fixed it for me unfortunately.

• Hi folks, I've dug through the depths of 1Password's Infinite Records System™ and discovered that there's still work ongoing to fix this - so sorry about the disruption in the meantime. If you need to get going with a working copy of 1Password, let me know and our team will be happy to assist. And in the meantime we'll get this fixed up as fast as we can!

@snozdop we'd be happy to look into the specifics for you, as well, to verify that the issue you're encountering is what we think it is. Feel free to email us at support@1Password.com and we'll get a move on.

(please note we don't actually have a trademark on Infinite Records System, I am just joking - although maybe we should)

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Today I was able to update from the 80600041 Nightly to the 80600045 Nightly just using the built-in updater, without any crashes - so looks like this issue is fixed now.

• Thanks @snozdop. We have a good handle on the issue, and are putting some finishing touches on it. As it stands, the browser integration may be broken. Once it's fixed, you should see browser integration working again on the following time you update.

This discussion has been closed.