Error when checking for updates in 1.0.9.327

InTheHills
InTheHills
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I try to Check for New Version, I get an error message that says: "http://updates.agilebits.com/check?product=1PWWbuildnum=327platform=5.1.2600locale=Englishallow_betas=NO is currently unavailable. The website might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your internet connection settings. "
Also, when I open the 1PW app, (not the browser extension), a window pops up that prompts me to update the Firefox extension (currently 3.9.14) but I also run into difficulties trying to update that. When I close Firefox 20 per the window's instructions, the app opens, but nothing else happens. XP SP3 I have already downloaded fresh copies from Agilebits, and that doesn't fix the problem. What's the next step?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The Firefox extension is already up to date. I'm not sure what prompt you might be seeing for the Firefox extension. Firefox extensions should update automatically in the background. You shouldn't ever see a prompt for one. I'd be curious to see a screenshot of the message.

1.0.9.327 is the current version of 1Password, so you are not missing an update to the main application, either, but there shouldn't be that error. Can you confirm that you are able to load that link in your browser?

http://updates.agilebits.com/check?product=1PWWbuildnum=327platform=5.1.2600locale=Englishallow_betas=NO

If you load it in your browser, it should show:

{ "up_to_date":"true" }

Are you behind a proxy server? If you don't know but are at work, you may want to check with your IT department.

It may have just been a temporary server issue as well. Retrying again later might be all you needed to do. Please let me know.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah! In light of your other thread I'm wondering if there is a possibility that some malware is blocking the connection to the update server or trying to redirect it. It's not extremely likely, but it is within the realm of possibility.

• InTheHills
    InTheHills
    Community Member

OK, I did get the "up_to_date": "true" message when I manually entered that address in my browser. But the problem is not likely to be about malware, as the update problem has been going on for years, ever since I first installed 1PW. I regularly check for malware using two different virus apps and nothing ever came up until this last month. One other possibility, could my router be blocking this somehow?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013

Are you behind a proxy server? If so, you may need to configure 1Password to use the proxy server (which may already be configured for your browser, so that could explain why loading the URL works just fine in your browser).

Please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.