Help transferring 1Password data to new MacBook Pro

Options
heathaho
heathaho
Community Member

I am an existing 1Password user for many versions now. I was most recently using 1Password 7 on my MacBook Pro (as well as iPhone). I have the standalone version/app of 1Password 7 that I purchased this past year. I do not have a subscriber membership/account currently. I just got a New MacBook Pro and wish to install 1Password onto the new MacBook Pro as well as transfer all of the 1Password data onto it. I am not sure how to go about it. I am reading a lot of things here online, but haven't quite found the solution. It seems everything is leaning to the membership subscription. While I understand that and wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it, I'd like to get my things set up with the standalone version first, right away because I need access quickly. So far I have DL'd the app from the 1Password website and installed it. Where I am in the process is the welcome screen where it gives you options to create your vault or import a previous one. I don't know how to import my previous one. I did not have anything in drop box or on the cloud. I had it all on my computer (and just synced wirelessly to and from iPhone & MacBook Pro). I grabbed a folder off of my old laptop which contains the contents for 1Password. I am just not sure what file I need to be opening. I do not see a ".opvault" file anywhere in these folders. Is the .opvault file the one I need? And if so, is there another place on the old MacBook that this file would be stored? I did a specific search for ".opvault" and it came up empty. Is anyone able to guide me through this process? Thanks in advance.
Attached photo is screen shot of what is in that 1Password "contents" folder from the old MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: MacOS 12.2.1- Monterey

Comments

• Hi @heathaho:

Thanks for writing in! Do you happen to remember which sync option you were using previously? If you were using iCloud to sync your vault across devices, that would explain not being able to find the .opvault file. If you still have access to your old MacBook, after opening and unlocking 1Password, the vault selector (accessed by clicking All Vaults) will display "iCloud" above the vault name. If you are syncing with iCloud, on your new MacBook, choose Sync using iCloud on the 1Password start page:

Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble!

Jack

• heathaho
    heathaho
    Community Member
    Options

I was syncing from device to device using WLAN. I have not been using iCloud.

• Hi @heathaho:

Thanks for clarifying! To help you get everything sorted out, the best way to make sure you've got everything set would be to help you via email. Please email support@1password.com with a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/127242/help-transferring-1password-data-to-new-macbook-pro#latest. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your email message and make sure it gets to the appropriate team! 😀

Jack

• heathaho
    heathaho
    Community Member
    Options

How long does it usually take to receive a reply with a support ID? I emailed in earlier today (Wed 02/16/22) and haven't received a reply with support ID yet.

• Hi @heathaho:

I've just located your ticket, and it appears one of my colleagues replied to you a few hours ago asking for some additional information. Please take a look for an email that contains [#ARP-22917-839] in the subject line. Let me know if you have any trouble locating the email, or if you were able to find it and send a reply to them. Thanks!

Jack

ref: ARP-22917-839

This discussion has been closed.