1Password at the Terminal

Options

I am wondering if there are users of 1Password who use it to store passwords that need to be entered in places like the terminal, or in text editors such as Emacs. Some of my most important passwords fall in this category and I would like to know if it is advisable to use 1Password for them. Do you use 1Password-generated passwords in such cases? Does copy-paste always work for such passwords?

I have just started using 1Password on my Macs and on my iOS devices. I am truly impressed by the product and surprised at how stress-free life feels when I do not have to remember fifty passwords. However, before I entrust it with passwords that need to be entered at the terminal, I would very much like to be aware of any pitfalls. Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I use copy/paste myself. Autotype would be handy, but I don't have a time frame for when or even if it will appear in 1Password for Mac.

You can test the waters before you dive in by just saving your existing passwords and see how it goes copying/pasting them. If you find a problem that we can help with, let me know. We're always here to help. :)

• gkulkarni
    gkulkarni
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply! It’s a relief to know that copy-paste works. (Although I surely wish 1Passwords learns to handle that at some point).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be nice. I'll make sure the developers know you are interested in autotype in 1Password for Mac. :)

This discussion has been closed.