How does one uninstall 1 Password 8?

srohde
srohde
Community Member

I would like to remove 1 Password 8 from my MacBook Pro.

Could you please provide step-by-step instruction for safely removing 1 Password 8 for macOS ?

1Password Version: 8.6.0-43.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:uninstall 1 Password 8 for mac

Comments

• Hello @srohde, thanks for trying 1Password 8, here are the steps to remove 1Password 8 and reinstall 1Password 7:

1. Right click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.
    2. Select Quit.
    3. Wait until the 1Password icon disappears from the menu bar.
    4. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Please let us know if you run into any trouble.

Maryam

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

When try to move 1Password to the trash, macOS displays a message telling me that I cannot move it to the Trash because it's open. But it's not actually open (and the 1Password icon does not appear in the menu bar.)

I'm really fed up with 1Passwords. It has become impossible to use because the 1Password popups are always hidden behind other popups. I used to love it buy now I cannot wait to uninstall and cancel my subscription. Please tell me how. Thanks.

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

Here's are all the apps running on my laptop right now, Notice that no version of 1Password is running.

• Hi @srohde

1Password popups are always hidden behind other popups

Perhaps turning off those other popups would help? 🤔

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Here's are all the apps running on my laptop right now, Notice that no version of 1Password is running

If you open the Activity Monitor app from Spotlight (or /Applications/Utilities/) do you see 1Password in that list? If so, please try quitting it from there, and then drag it to the Trash. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

Perhaps turning off those other popups would help?
    Yeah, great idea. I wish 1Password could tell me how to turn off those other passwords because I have't been able to figure that out. That's why I reported the issue.

_...do you see 1Password in that list? _
    Yes. I was able to kill the process and then remove 1Password. Thanks for the tip.

• For sure! The instructions vary depending on where the popups are coming from, but this guide covers most of the common ones. It looks like my colleague Jack was able to help you through that? Is there anything else we can do to help? Please let me know.

Ben

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

Cancelling your 1Password subscription because of another apps settings? 😂 And there’s a self help article to explain how to resolve it.

Talk about being over the top.

• Just want to second what @Ben said here - I hope that guide will be helpful, and we're here to assist if you need anything further. Thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.