Show previous passwords

Options
meilon
meilon
Community Member

Hi!
When did the previous passwords go missing in 1Password 8 for Windows? And most of all, when will it come back? I'm running 8.5 (80500121) and the feature isn't there anymore! I can still see them when I log into the web app, so they are still there, just not available in the desktop app.

1Password Version: 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @meilon! Happily, the ability to see previous passwords is still present in 1Password 8 - it's just moved. Here's how you can see the password history for any given item:

1. Unlock your 1Password for Windows app as per usual
    2. Select the item of interest
    3. Hover over the item's password field, and select the downward-pointing arrow (v), then View Password History.
    4. Select Reveal for any previous password you'd like to examine.

I should note that this View Password History option is only present for items that actually do have previous passwords associated with them. Otherwise, the option doesn't appear, since the current passwords is all there is to show. 👍

Let me know if you're able to get the data you need using this approach. If there's anything we can help with, we're happy to - and we'll look forward to hearing how this goes!

• meilon
    meilon
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks, found it! Guess I was used to years of having the additional buttons that I never thought to look at the password field now that they went missing.

• Hi @meilon! Ah, great to hear you've got the relevant info, and thanks for the confirmation! 👍 I think this change may have been part of a general effort to streamline the interface, but we of course still want to make sure you can always access this kind of data. Thanks again for the question, and feel free to say hello here if there's anything further we can do to help. 😃

• horatio8
    horatio8
    Community Member
    Options

This is hard to discover and I had to search here for the answer. Why not put it also in the 3 dots menu? Thanks

• Hi @horatio8, thanks for the feedback.

This option is likely located where it is so that password history can be summoned on an item-by-item basis. Options that are in the ellipses menu tend to pertain to the app as a whole.

But your point about discoverability is one we'll keep in mind as we go forward. We're always interested in making things more intuitive. Thanks for letting us know that you find room for improvement here.

• Tagette
    Tagette
    Community Member
    Options

I also thought this feature was missing. I found it on the web app but not the windows app. At first I thought my previous passwords might have been deleted which honestly would have made me change apps if that was the case.

I can deal with this now that I know but you should really reconsider how it's designed others may have panicked more than I did.

Maybe a history button next to the dropdown button? Heck you could make that work for other fields too. (Ex: Usernames, Emails)

• Thank you for this, @tagette - and I'm glad that you found the feature! I'll pass on the feedback about the design as well. And if there's anything further we can do - let us know and we'll be happy to help, or answer any outstanding questions. 👍

This discussion has been closed.