Problem with date formats

Hi, I'm new to 1Password and just setting up my various pieces of information. I have come across two issues with dates though:

1) Because the box is small, when entering a date you can only see some of hte letters for the month. So I see Ju for June and Jul for July, but M for March and May! I can't see anywhere to adjust the date format for this, or increase the box size (increasing the window size doesn't affect this). Once the editing is finished and the card is saved the full name of the month is shown though.

2) Date of Birth for a driver's licence is D/M/Y, but expiry date is only M/Y. The full expiry date (including the day) is used for verification of some of the licences I have. If I use the calendar to select a specific day, the day is forgotten and the saved card shows 01/month/year! On the app version, if I enter a d/m/y it simply rejects the input. Is there somewhere that one can change the date format for this as well?

thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The date format should be determined by your OS settings. Please be sure that you have not set a custom date format which is causing the trouble. What is "Region" set to in System Preferences > Language & Text > Region on your machine?

• dmcg026
    dmcg026
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Khad.

So the problem in 1) is not that it uses MMM as the date format, but that the box when entering it is too small to show more than one letter, and can't seem to be expanded even when the window is. The region I use is New Zealand.
    And the problem in 2) is nothing to do with the display of the date, simply that the input format for the expiry date of a drivers licence only accepts M/Y, not D/M/Y, which is what I need.

Cheers
    Duncan

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Gotcha. Thanks for following up, Duncan. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't an issue before we went any further. 90+% of date issues revolve around someone setting an unusual custom date setting in OS X which causes all sorts of problems that then get blamed on 1Password. :)

I'll pass your feedback about those two issues along to the developers. Thank you for sharing it! I don't know how it is in New Zealand, but here in the States a driver's license always expires on your birthday, so the specific day of the month — while not inessential — is certainly something readily known to you. Is that not the case in New Zealand? Just curious.

Cheers,

• dmcg026
    dmcg026
    Community Member

Nope, NZ licences expire 10 years from the day of issue, which might not be your birthday. So the precise expiry date is used as an identity check on some websites, and certainly isn't memorable! In any case, I guess being able to decide whether or not you want the M/Y or D/M/Y may apply to other types of cards as well...
    thanks again
    Duncan

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

• kdcnz
    kdcnz
    Community Member

I'll add to this. The NZ format drivers license date format is "dd-mm-ccyy". This value is used on some websites as part of the validation (e.g.: for registering vehicles online) so it is not possible to store valid value in 1Password (at least not in iPad & iPhone versions) to cut/paste. Problem solved by creating a text field and keying data in as required, ignoring the provided 1Password fields. Otherwise dates (for me) seemed OK - entering a Passport showed dates as dd/mm/yy, as expected. Again, NZ Passports have dates as dd/mm/ccyy but not a problem in this instance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I will pass this additional info along to the developers. Much appreciated!

• Sgfrid
    Sgfrid
    Community Member

Same for member cards. Why not add a third field called "date" in edit mode on the dropdown menu on the right side? It's possible to add a date in a text field but that's to the best solution.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sgfrid,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass this suggestion along :)

This discussion has been closed.