when I click on a link in my browser it always opens and switches to 1Password instead of my browser

Options
FaridGhussein
FaridGhussein
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Mac

when I click on a link in my browser, such as a search result from a search engine, it always opens and switches to 1Password instead of my browser. To keep working with my browser I need to switch back from the 1Password app, to my browser. I am using Safari for Mac. This problem started today after updating 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: 12.2.1
Referrer: forum-search:when I click on a link in my browser it always opens and switches to 1Password instead of my browser

Comments

• Hey @FaridGhussein:

Just to confirm, are you using 1Password for Safari (downloaded separately from the App Store), or the 1Password extension included with 1Password 7? 1Password 7 for Mac was designed to work with the 1Password extension it's included with, and doesn't integrate with 1Password for Safari. Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• FaridGhussein
    FaridGhussein
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P
    Yes I am (was) using 1Password for Safari. Actually I solved it by just removing the 1Password plugin, as it always gets in my way, making things really messy and conflicting with Safaris/Mac OSs password manager. Every time I want to register or login they start to nag about logging in like two, three or more times eventually forcing me to change passwords and stuff. Sometimes I can use my finger print ID and sometimes I need to write my main 1Password password.

I never know which one of them that actually stores the passwords, and some times it turns out none of them stored it, so I still have a text document on my computer that stores my passwords. Just in case ;)

It's a real mess. Also the 1Password plugin keeps nagging about storing my credit cards and stuff. Nagging is a really bad habit.
    But, thanks for your reply.

Edit: Now it happened here to, at this forum. Even though I removed the plugin, 1Passsword shows up in Safari, wanting me to use my fingerprint numerous times and showing like three different 1Password alternatives. I have to try all three of them before finding the right one of them. I hope I can get rid of all this really soon. How do I fix this or how do I get rid of 1Password in my browser??

Cheers

Farid

• Hi @FaridGhussein:

Thanks for following up. Generally speaking to avoid confusion with saving passwords in multiple places we'd recommend turning off your browser's default password manager: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Let me know if that improves your state of play with 1Password!

Jack

• gvaldezr
    gvaldezr
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Same problem.

• @gvaldezr

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into the same issue. Can you tell me if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac? And are you using the new 1Password for Safari or the built-in extension that comes with 1Password 7 for Mac?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• gvaldezr
    gvaldezr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes to everything. Same problem on my Macpro and my M1 MacBook Air.

• @gvaldezr

Our developers have isolated the issue and hope to include a fix in a future update. In the meantime as a temporary workaround, please disable app integration for 1Password in Safari:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click on Safari in the menubar and click Preferences.
    3. Click Extensions.
    4. Make sure that "1Password" (the built-in extension that comes with 1Password 7 for Mac) is disabled and that "1Password for Safari" (the new standalone web extension) is enabled.
    5. Right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar and click Settings.
    6. Scroll down and turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".

Since you're using 1Password 7 you won't lose any functionality since 1Password for Safari only integrates with 1Password 8 (currently in beta).

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#13467

• gvaldezr
    gvaldezr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that did the trick. Thanks.

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.