Not able to use 1password extension

haitaoma
haitaoma
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I am getting "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser" for Chrom on my Mac book pro with M1 Max chip.
chrome version is: 99.0.4844.74

Is anyone able to help, please?

I have restarted the app, browser and my machine a few times already and it still doesn't work.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 12.3

Comments

• haitaoma
    haitaoma
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @haitaoma! On March 15, Google released Chrome 99, which contained a new code signing certificate. Because of this change, 1Password 6 for Mac no longer works in Chrome 99 or later. Here's some more info on this: https://support.1password.com/kb/202203/

The last major update to 1Password 6 for Mac was almost 4 years ago, and as 1Password is a security product, we strongly recommend keeping it up to date. To continue using 1Password in Chrome, my best recommendation is to upgrade to 1Password 7 through a membership. We can offer you a special promotion, as you've been a user for a long time. If you are interested, please reach out to us directly at support+tradein@1password.com. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here so we can locate your ticket. Then we can discuss this further!

• DaveyWales
    DaveyWales
    Community Member

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. March 15 being 8 years to the day I first bought 1Password!

Is that "promotional" offer open to other legacy users?

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

It still works in Firefox. Is there any way to install an older version of chrome?

• Hi @DaveyWales:

Thanks for being with us for so long! As Joy mentioned, reaching out to us directly would be the best bet. Please send us an email at support+tradein@1password.com mentioning this and my colleagues will be happy to get you sorted out. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and we'll be able to connect the dots and locate your email to us.

Hi @paddypdx:

One of the easiest things you can do to improve your digital security is to ensure your operating system and browser are continually up to date to prevent against newly discovered vulnerabilities. Given this, installing an outdated version of a browser is something we can't recommend. At this point, updating to 1Password 7 for Mac would be the best option if you want to continue using 1Password in Chrome. Please reach out to us at support+tradein@1password.com, and after emailing in post your support ID, and I'll be able to connect the dots and locate your conversation.

Jack

• haitaoma
    haitaoma
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P and @Joy_1P, 1password should give the option to end user whether to ignore the signature of the browser other than stop working and suggest end-user to upgrade to the subscription pricing model. Sad to see how 1password treat the users who are using the legacy products and supported 1password in the early days.

• Hi @haitaoma:

As 1Password is a security product, that simply isn't a decision we're comfortable making. If we were to offer that functionality in 1Password 6 for Mac, this would enable the ability for malware to pretend to be Chrome and steal all of your items / credentials.

We strongly recommend staying up to date with your OS, browser, and related products (which includes 1Password). If it's imperative that you continue to use 1Password 6 for Mac, you can still use the 1Password classic extension in Firefox.

Jack

• pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member

I posted several solutions in this post here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/633499/#Comment_633499

Hopefully some people will find it useful.

Good luck JackP_1P. You've got a tough job here - dealing with unhappy customers from the poor decisions made by those above you. Appreciate what you do day-to-day nonetheless.

• Hey @pjrobertson:

I appreciate the kind words. Stay safe out there!

Jack

• utahtea
    utahtea
    Community Member

Add me to the list of people who can no longer use the 1Password browser in Chrome. :(

Jack.P_1P can I also do the email and get a discount? I've had 1Password 5 & 6.

• @utahtea

You certainly can! Our 1Password Support team at support+tradein@1password.com will be happy to help.

• utahtea
    utahtea
    Community Member

Thank you for the email and the reply. My computer expert, who is a Distinguished Engineer, recommended 1Password back in 2014 but he's not a fan of 1Password storing passwords so I'm going to have to decline the offer. I'll just use Firefox for now.

FWIW, he plans to leave 1Password once he is required to do a subscription and so will I follow him where he goes. I wish 1Password would reconsider selling stand alone programs.

utahtea

• Hi @utahtea:

Thanks for your feedback. Stay safe out there when it comes to choosing another password manager, and we'll be here for you if you decide to give us another chance in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.