How to force 1password to use an existing dropbox file

Carl Mesner Lyons
Carl Mesner Lyons
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

My master 1Password account is on my Home mac. I would like to use the same data on the laptop I use for Work, where I use a different Dropbox account

I have shared the 1Password folder so it is in both my Home and Work Dropboxes. I would now like to make the instance of 1Password that runs on my Work laptop to use the same 1Password file that is in the dropbox folder. i.e. any passwords I edit sync across Home and Work.

However, when I open 1Password on the Work laptop, it only ever imports or copies the file locally, meaning they are out of sync. And if I opt to "move to Dropbox', it creates a second 1Password folder in Dropbox, meaning they are also out of sync

How can I force 1Password on my Work laptop to use the existing file in Dropbox and thus keep everything in sync? i.e. not copy/move but use that particular file?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Carl Mesner Lyons
    Carl Mesner Lyons
    Community Member

And by the way, I do not see the "Choose another" button that the Dropbox instructions suggest I will?

i.e., I'd like to see this https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vsgkb3foxygsp5/Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 10.13.15.png

but I actually see https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz7jom04exubrpv/mine.png

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion, Carl, but you've posted this in the wrong category. You're using the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store not the version of 1Password from AgileBits website. I'll move it to the correct category. That is also the key to understanding what is going on in your situation.

The Mac App Store version of 1Password adheres to Apple's application sandboxing guidelines and is designed to only read a data file from one of two locations. The default is:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

If you are syncing via Dropbox, then your data file will be located here:

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Which is exactly where yours is already located.

1. Which Mac is that screenshot of your from? Can you post a screenshot of the same preference pane on the other Mac?
    2. Do you have more than one data file in your Dropbox folder (including any shared folders and subfolders)?

With some more information we can get everything straightened out.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.