Fingerprint Unlock in Chrome doesn't work anymore

Options

Hey,

I'm using a company license and the official 1password extension on a MacBook together with Brave as Browser (basically Chrome). I noticed the following issues recently (since about a week):

• When I unlock the Mac App, the Browser Extension is still locked
  • When I want to unlock the Browser extension, it always asks for my password. This is annoying since it is very long and I prefer to use my fingerprint.
  • The little hint that appears on input fields now does nothing when clicked. It forces you to use the keyboard shortcut. Why?? Why not just open the extension when I click on the icon?
  • The Mac App keeps suggesting that I download the extension, even though I have it installed

The same thing happens in Chrome. I think an update broke something because everything worked very smoothly before. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the browser extension.

A fix is highly appreciated since this is very annoying.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.3 (70903004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1 (21D62)

Comments

• bastula
    bastula
    Community Member
    Options

This is also affecting me as well. I am on the exact same version of everything as you, save using Chrome instead of Brave. This is definitely a regression. Thank you.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @oleberlin @bastula! It sounds like the extension is having a hard time communicating with the 1Password app on your computer. To fix that, please try the following:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

Please let me know how that goes!

• oleberlin
    oleberlin
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Joy_1P, thanks for your reply. It somehow started working again. I upgraded my Mac to Monterey 12.3. Maybe the reboot helped. I don't know. I didn't follow your instructions since things are back to normal.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oleberlin Glad things are back to normal! Feel free to reach out again if you need help. Have a good day.

• kenzo
    kenzo
    Community Member
    Options

Ooooommmmgggggg. I am having this same issue. Ive gone through all the steps, twice, and it's still not working.
    I am very very frustrated with my 1Password purchase. Across the extension and the mobile app, 1Password keeps asking me to enter my password instead of using biometric data. It works less often than it fails.
    EVERY TIME I make an account or need to sign in, it seems 1Password makes me type in my very long password.
    I run into this problem multiple times a day. SO. FRUSTRATING.
    PLEASE FIX HOW FLAKY BIOMETRIC SIGN IN IS!

• rvosatka
    rvosatka
    Community Member
    Options

I appear to be having this same issue. I disabled/re-enabled "integrate with 1Password App" as detailed but still requires the main password (again, and again, and again...). Please help me re-enable Touch ID for the extension.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kenzo and @rvosatka! Sorry about the continued issues with Touch ID. If the steps above did not help, I'd like you both to send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• kenzo
    kenzo
    Community Member
    Options

Touch ID is now working after a Chrome update (Chrome was up to date when I was seeing this issue, but then required an update).
    Now, touch ID is being initiated, but after recognizing my fingerprint, it stays locked and doesn't move. Classic.

• kenzo
    kenzo
    Community Member
    Options

📤 Sending message to native core <2341899847>
    📥 Received message from native core <2341899847>

these are the messages I receive in the console when trying to unlock

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2022
    Options

@kenzo Thanks for following up here. I'm sorry the issue is persisting once again. At this point, we'd need to see the full console log and diagnostics report to work out what may be causing issues. Were you able to follow @Joy_1P's instructions to get a report into our Support? We'd be glad to dig deeper and get to the bottom of this once you're able to do so. Thanks!

• Agata
    Agata
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem. I restarted Chrome and reinstalled 1password extension but It didn't help :(

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Agata! Thanks for reaching out here 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're running into the same issue. I'd like to ask you to send in some diagnostics to our support so we can take a closer look at things:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

Thanks very much!

• Agata
    Agata
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! 🙂

• dozy
    dozy
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I have exactly the same problem on my Macbook Pro. The master password is always requested for unlocking 1Password via the Chrome extension. Touch ID is never given as an option.
    I'm using 1Password 8 (v8.7.0) and the Chrome extension v2.3.3.
    Having migrated from 1Password 7 standalone vault just yesterday, this comes as a surprise and it is a major drawback in the user experience.

EDIT: I've restarted my Mac and now it's working

• @dozy

Sorry to hear about the initial blip, after migrating from 1Password 7. We're glad to hear the restart managed to get things back in working order for you. Don't hesitate to reach back out if you encounter any other issues, we'll be here to help!

• oleberlin
    oleberlin
    Community Member
    Options

The same issue came back for me. Restart does solve it but it would be nicer if this wasn't necessary.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @oleberlin, sorry to hear that the issue came back. Could you try following the steps that I shared previously?

If the issues continue, then I'd like you to send over the following so we can investigate things further:

The extension console log: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/
    A diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128098/fingerprint-unlock-in-chrome-doesnt-work-anymore#latest
    Your forum username: oleberlin

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• aragorn
    aragorn
    Community Member
    Options

Same annoying problem here, with:

• 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
    • Google Chrome Version 107.0.5304.110 (Offizieller Build) (arm64)
    • Chrome Extension: 2.4.1

I already send an email to => support+forum@1password.com

It seems the problem evolves from here:

09:21:09.015 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    09:21:09.015 background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7
    09:21:09.015 background.js:2 📤 Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <4141679257>
    09:21:09.015 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.

Maybe com.1password.1password7 needs to be com.1password.1password8?

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @aragorn! 🙂

Thanks for sharing your experience as well. I'm sorry to hear you've bumped into this issue. I can see you've started a conversation with our support staff, and we'll continue the conversation there.

We appreciate your patience and support!

• harieshokunin
    harieshokunin
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I am having a very difficult time with the 1Password touch id in the chrome extention as well as everyone else!

Disable [Integrate with 1Password app]
    Delete and reinstall chrome extention
    I have done these steps above, but the problem persists.

Spec.

• 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
    • Google Chrome version 107.0.5304.110 (official build) (arm64)
    • Chrome extension: 2.4.1

I am going to send for "support+forum@1password.com"

Can you solve the problem?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @harieshokunin, I'm sorry that you've run into this issue. We would be more than happy to help.

At this time, I'd like you to reproduce the issue and then send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• goldylox
    goldylox
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I am having the same issue. Have tried everything above. Has there been a solution? This is extremely frustrating. I have to manually log in anytime I open and close the browser and it quite honestly makes the product almost not worth using. Thank you.

EDIT -

Here is my support ID: [#PTF-44499-252]

• Hey @goldylox,

I'm sorry for the trouble, thanks for sharing the support ID we can continue to investigate there.

• lehrerb
    lehrerb
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues as well. I've followed all the instructions on this thread, but no luck.

• Deepwell
    Deepwell
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Tried the "disable Integrate with 1Password, restart etc." turnaround described above, but still the same: 1Password app (macOS) is unlocked, but I nevertheless every time need to also unlock the browser extension and on doing so have to enter the passphrase - no fingerprint option offered.

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    Options

I started getting this issue yesterday. It was working fine until then. I had just upgraded from macOS 13.1 to 13.2 (smoking gun?)
    Now both Safari and Firefox browsers ask for the full password to open 1P with no option to use Touch ID.

• WeriPrevion
    WeriPrevion
    Community Member
    Options

I expect the same behavior in Crome and Firefoxe since some days.

• LukeTowers
    LukeTowers
    Community Member
    Options

I've solved the issue, it's definitely the fault of the 1Password 8 desktop app for Mac OS. Took me like 5 minutes to figure it out after looking at the browser extension logs and googling the error messages.

TLDR if you want to fix it on your machine while you wait for an update just do the following:

Open the 1Password 8 (com.1password.1password) Chrome manifest.json file in a text or code editor (located at
    ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json)

Change the value of the "path" property to "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport".

Your com.1password.1password.json file should then look like the following:

{
      "name": "com.1password.1password",
      "description": "1Password BrowserSupport",
      "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport",
      "type": "stdio",
      "allowed_origins": [
        "chrome-extension://hjlinigoblmkhjejkmbegnoaljkphmgo/",
        "chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/",
        "chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/",
        "chrome-extension://dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem/"
      ]
    }

The problem is the "path"property has a typo in it, the one that was installed on my machine was

{
      "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport",
      "allowed_origins": [
        "chrome-extension://hjlinigoblmkhjejkmbegnoaljkphmgo/",
        "chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/",
        "chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/",
        "chrome-extension://dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem/"
      ]
    }

Note the "MacOS/MacOS" part of the path. If you actually go to that path using Show Package Contents in Finder you'll see that the real location of the BrowserSupport application is under "MacOS", not "MacOS/MacOS".

This took me literally 5 minutes to figure out and solve after looking at the browser extension console error log, noting the "Error: Specified native messaging host not found." error message, doing some quick googling, figuring it was probably a misconfigured manifest file, checking https://developer.chrome.com/docs/apps/nativeMessaging/ to see where the file lives, then checking it and the real path to see the discrepancy. It's taken more time for me to write this post then it did to diagnose & fix the issue on my machine.

Hope this helps everyone else that's been annoyed with this issue :)

• khaneliman
    khaneliman
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thank you so much for this. I was just getting frustrated and found this solution that works perfectly. I am using Firefox so my manifest was in a different location but required the same fix.

~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json

{
      "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport",
      "allowed_extensions": [
        "{0a75d802-9aed-41e7-8daa-24c067386e82}",
        "{25fc87fa-4d31-4fee-b5c1-c32a7844c063}",
        "{d634138d-c276-4fc8-924b-40a0ea21d284}"
      ]
    }

• rinkjames
    rinkjames
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the above solution changing the 'path' property. Frustratingly for me (latest macOS, Brave browser), the file seems to revert to 'MacOS/MacOS' after saving and restarting the browser and 1Password... any advice?

This discussion has been closed.