Frustrated with new chrome extension...

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of the idiom that says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Let me start of by saying that I have both the Mac and PC versions, using both on a Mac using Bootcamp with Windows 7. I use the latest versions of chrome on both Mac and PC and I've never had problems with it until now. The problems are so frustrating to deal with that I'm considering switching to another password manager (which would suck because I really used to love 1Password). Basically, the extension is worthless and there's no point in promoting that part of 1Password because it doesn't work AT ALL.

The issues I'm having are as follows:

On the Mac side of things, ever since the new extension came out, whenever I trigger the extension (either by keyboard shortcut or the toolbar icon), instead of the normal popup that shows the textfield, instead I get a blank popup. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension several times (with browser restarts in between); I've tried disabling all other extensions; and I've tried installing the stable and beta versions of the extensions from the agilebits website. Nothing seems to work now. I'm not sure what was done, but it's totally unusable.

Now when I go into Windows, the extension popup shows up fine, but when I go to unlock, the counter just keeps on going and going and going. I let it go up to 150 and still it doesn't unlock! I know I am entering the master password correctly and I'm able to unlock the 1Password Windows client just fine with that password, it's only the extension that's not accepting it.

So in either case, like I said, the extension is unusable.

/rant

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to contact us, @XRayGuy. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. I'm sure we can get everything sorted out for you.

…ever since the new extension came out…

When was this? Do you mean the most recent version or something else? There has only ever been one Chrome extension, so I am a bit confused by what you mean by "the new extension" if you don't just mean a new version of the same extension. I'd love to better understand what you mean if you can provide some more details.

On the Mac side of things, ever since the new extension came out, whenever I trigger the extension (either by keyboard shortcut or the toolbar icon), instead of the normal popup that shows the textfield, instead I get a blank popup.

It sounds suspiciously like you are running a developer build of Chrome which is really only intended for testing. This is referenced in the thread pinned at the top of this category:

Support for Prerelease Browser Versions

What is the specific version number of Chrome that you are running?

What has me a bit confused is this part, though:

I've tried installing the stable and beta versions of the extensions from the agilebits website

The latest beta version of the Chrome extension actually does work in Chrome 28 (the current dev version), so installing the beta extension should have worked to get you back up and running.

Now when I go into Windows, the extension popup shows up fine, but when I go to unlock, the counter just keeps on going and going and going.

Please review our troubleshooting guide for this, and review each step carefully:

Troubleshooting the new browser extensions

A common cause is a proxy server or other "Internet security" programs blocking the secure connection between the sandboxed browser extension and the main 1Password program. Workarounds for both of these are outlined in the guide, and the latter has its own page linked in step seven:

Configuring problematic antivirus/malware software

Please let me know how it goes and if the above applies to your situation.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report from 1Password for Windows? Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.