How do I see previous passwords

Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

I am using 1PW 1Password 7
Version 7.9.3 (70903004)
Mac App Store

I read that I should be able to see previous passwords for a login by hovering over my password -- That is not working for me. My MacOS is current. Safari in my primary browser, but I don't think my browser should matter since I am in the 1PW application.

I also see this feature exists in iOS -- I did not know that, but I can't find it there either.

Here is where I look -

Open 1PW
Search for a site name --
Select the 1PW entry the Search feature finds
Move/hover my mouse pointer over the word "password" or the actual password displayed in the login window and I see no previous passwords.

At one time I could see previous passwords if I clicked the "Edit" option for the login -- but not now.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.3
Referrer: forum-search:previous passwords

Comments

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member

Have to log in to your account on the website to do that.

Here's details
    https://support.1password.com/item-history/

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

The instructions in the link don't work for me --

I want to do this in the 1PW Mac version - that used to work. The link you provided has two issues.

1 This procedure only claims to apply to the Archive Vault -- the system I want worked with any login in any vault.

2 The Manage Permission description requires/describes icons I do not see.

My wife and I are the only Family members. We only use a single vault -- a Shared vault named "Shared". We both have complete authority to manage everything (I am not sure how we set this up -- I was the original organizer when the family plan first existed and that is how we set things up.

When I click on the Shared Vault (or any other Vault for that matter) the symbol described in step 4 (a Gear or Settings symbol) does not exist. The only symbols the "All Vaults" symbol in the sidebar and the symbols in each individual login - things like make a Favorite and Share.

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member

I also have the current 7.9.3 on a current mac, and can't see previous passwords.
    In the current 1password, the apps can only restore an archived item.

To see a previous password, you have to sign in to 1password.com & look at the login there.
    On the linked page, the section 'on 1password.com' details that.

https://support.1password.com/item-history/#in-the-1password-apps

Here's how it worked for me early yesterday to look at previous passwords.

Go to 1password.com
    On the top left of the main page is a menu button
    At the bottom of the menu is the signin.

When signed in, vaults are on the bottom left of the page.
    If needed, scroll down to see all the vaults individually.

Click on a vault to open it, or open all vaults
    Click on the item (can be login, note, card, id)

Scroll down the item's page
    Toward the bottom of the item's page will be buttons, such as
    show web form details
    show previous passwords
    view sharing history
    view item history
    Click previous passwords & a list will appear
    On each previous password, Click reveal to see it

Family accounts allow multiple admins on any vault.
    Maybe start a new question about that gear button.

I'm on an individual account.

• Hello @Gordon101 and @vellum! šŸ‘‹

To see a previous password for an item in the 1Password for Mac app you can do the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on the item that you wish to view.
    3. Hover over the password field.
    4. Click on the down arrow on the right of the password field.
    5. Click View Password History.

You will only see the View Password History option if there are previous passwords.

If you have a 1Password account then you can also restore previous versions of your items on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Let me know if that helps. šŸ˜Š

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

Thank you for posting - the screen shot that was the clue I needed.

Hint to 1PW support people if you see this thread -

It would really be helpful to users if you took some videos of of screen for things like this and incorporated links to those videos in your reference materials.

• @Gordon101

I'm happy to hear that the screenshot helped you find your Password History in the 1Password for Mac app. I'm sorry for the confusion and I've passed along your feedback to our team so that we can improve our documentation in the future. šŸ™‚

-Dave

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

Other advantages of making videos is teaching best practices to new users, let people considering 1PW see how the system works normally, how people really recover their vaults when they have lost their hardware, and probably a dozen other tasks that you and other support folks answer too many times every week of the year.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2022

@Gordon101

Thank you for the reply. We have a collection of videos available on our YouTube channel: 1Password - YouTube

We also have a new project called 1Password University which is a free resource that we launched late last year. 1Password University includes lessons on 1Password, online security basics, and more. You can sign-up here: 1Password University

I hope that helps. šŸ˜Š

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member

@Dave_1p
    Thanks for the info!
    Doing my previous password search in-app would have been so much quicker than signing into the website.

And as @Gordon101 said, more detail in the descriptions on the help pages would be useful.

@Gordon101
    Apologies for saying 'website', when that process is in the app!

• @vellum

Thank you for the feedback. šŸ˜Š

• dfsutherland
    dfsutherland
    Community Member

The new location of previous passwords is perfectly reasonable and intuitive... now that I know about it. My gripe is this:

• it used to be farther down in the item info where it was easily visible, but then
    • it moved somewhere less visible with no warning!

And searching the support site for "see previous password" turned up nothing relevant.

• @dfsutherland

I'm sorry for the confusion, password history was moved to the password field menu in version 7.7 back in November 2020. I've forwarded your feedback about improvements to the documentation of this feature to our documentation team. šŸ˜Š

This discussion has been closed.