Cannot get 1P to work on iPhone

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited January 2023 in iOS

I have complained about the difficulties I have with the 1P app on iOS several times. Most of the time I cannot use if and just give up. This is crazy. It should be able to work.

Here is what I went through today, when I wanted to use 1P to login to an app:

1. Go to the app.
  2. Get the login screen
  3. click in the Username field
  4. iOS prompt with "Password".
  5. I click on Password
  6. It asks if I want 1Password or keychain.
  7. I chose 1Password.
  8. It wants my master password. It won't accept Touch ID.
  9. I remember that it works better to not try to login to an app first, but to first login to 1Password. I was given that advice in this forum.
  10. I leave the app, and login to 1Password. Again, it wants my master password.
  11. I login with my master password. So far so good.
  12. I go back to the other app and try to login by tapping in the Username field.
  13. It prompts me with "Passwords" again.
  14. If again offers the choice keychain or 1P. I choose 1P.
  15. 1P still wants my master password.
  16. I give it my master password.
  17. It shows "vaults".
  18. I click "Cancel".
  19. I try again at step 12.
  20. It still wants my master password. I start again.
  21. At "Vaults" instead of "Cancel" I click on my back arrow to Vaults.
  22. It says I have no passwords. That is, it is as though I have a completely empty vault.

I have done this many times, and normally give up at this point. My conclusions:

1. It wants Master Password on every use.
  2. It has worked in the past. I have used 1P probably since 2009 very heavily on my iMacs.
  3. On iOS, for me It routinely reverts from a condition of working to not-working
  4. I can login to the 1P app and it does show all my passwords, including the one for the app I was trying to access.
  5. Most of the time I just have to live with the fact that 1P does not work for me on iOS.

As a final try, I went back to the 1P app and logged in again. It required the Master Password. It shows me all my vault content. I quit 1P and start it again. This time is asks for my Touch ID. And all vault content is present. Thinking that this might mean if I go back to the app it work work. It did get into 1P, but again the vault content was missing. So I cannot login to my app at all, unless I type the difficult password. However it is too difficult to actually type. So I give up again. That password works great on my desktop.

What's wrong with this picture?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 15.3.1

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I tried using 1P on my iPhone again today. Same issue. Either (1) it requires my Master Password every time, or (2) Touch ID works but it says my vault is empty. Then (3) if I force-quit 1P, I can login again, and the vault is there. But them when I used it with an app, for which it used to always work, it says my vault is empty.

So 1P does not work at all on my iPhone.

• Hi @jasimon9

I remember that it works better to not try to login to an app first, but to first login to 1Password. I was given that advice in this forum.

Correct. In order to use biometrics with Password AutoFill you must have already launched and unlocked the 1Password app.

What's wrong with this picture?

I believe you can improve your experience with 1Password for iOS by adjusting your settings. In the 1Password app:

• Make sure either Face ID or Touch ID is on in 1Password under Settings > Security (it may help to toggle it off and then back on)
    • Turn off Settings > Security > Lock on Exit
    • Turn on Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen

In iOS's Settings app:

• Passwords > AutoFill Passwords > Make sure 1Password is checked and no other options are

Also, while you're in the 1Password app and want to see your items, please try tapping on the Categories tab at the very bottom of the app, and then tap All Items. Do you then see your items? Please let me know.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I checked settings and found the following:
    1. Touch ID was on (but I toggled it as you suggested)
    2. Lock on Exit was on so I turned it off as you suggested.
    3. for the Always Show Lock screen, there was a heading "Always Show Lock Screen", and a sub-item "Password Autofill". That was not enabled so I assumed that was what you meant to enable. So I did that.

Of great concern to me is why when using 1P from within an app, when I unlock it, it often says the vault is empty. Since I was having trouble this morning, I tried again with the Fidelity app. This is what I get:

But when I open 1P on the phone, the vault appears normally.

• @jasimon9

What that screen is saying is that you have no Login items saved with the URL fidelityinvestments.com in the website field in your Personal vault. Is that true? If you do have a Login item for Fidelity, please make sure it has that URL in a website field saved on it. It isn't saying your vault is empty... it is saying there are no matches for the current app.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Since I have logged in to that website on my computer nearly every day and 1P has no problem, and since for years I could use the same login in the Fidelity app, it was confusing to me when it suddenly stopped working several months ago.

You have isolated the problem. On the web the URL is www.fidelity.com, but they must have made a change some time back to not use that URL with the app, having switched to fidelityinvestments.com. So after adding that URL, the login again works directly and it does not take me to that confusing page.

The root cause seems to be the method that the login screen communicates with 1P, and sending an unexpected URL.

Thanks, Ben!

• @jasimon9

I'm happy that Ben was able to help and that filling your login information in the Fidelity app is working again.

Let me know if you're still seeing the other issues that you mentioned. 🙂

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Thanks for jumping in, Dave!

I am still having issues on another case at https://1password.community/discussion/128534/1p-not-working-to-create-an-save-a-password#latest

• @jasimon9

Thank you for the link. I've replied in the other thread and I recommend that we continue the discussion about the new issue over there. 😊

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

This issue continues. The general situation now is that 1P on iOS requires me to enter my master password every time I use it. For example, attempt to login to a website, must enter master password. Something fails in login in for some reason. I have to start over, and enter the master password again. I believe the 1P design should not require this.

A few minutes later, go to another site and try to login. Master password has to be entered again.

Rinse, repeat.

Since I have a good, long master password, there is a temptation to change my master password to something easy to type on the phone to workaround this annoyance. Since that is a really bad idea, I have not done that.

But you can see the difficulty caused.

My normal workaround is to give up, with the attitude that 1P just does not work on iOS, and to go to my desktop to complete the task. Unfortunately, the task is usually "deposit a check", so that has to be done on the phone.

The result is building resentment towards 1P. I hope you understand.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

@Dave_1P: you said you replied in another thread. I cannot find another open thread where you have replied.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

@jasimon9

The other thread that I was referring to back in April is here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/635579/#Comment_635579 (That thread deals with Safari on your Mac, not your iPhone.)

I'm sorry to hear that you're being repeatedly prompted for your account password when using 1Password on your iOS device. Can you try the following steps:

1. Restart your iPhone/iPad.
    2. Open the main 1Password app from the home screen of your iPhone/iPad (not from another app).
    3. Unlock 1Password using your account password.
    4. Open Safari.
    5. Go to a website whose login you have stored in 1Password and use Password AutoFill to fill your password.

Are you now able to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password and fill your login? Or are you prompted for your account password again?

-Dave

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Dave_1P,

Thanks for getting back to me. I followed the steps and I was able to login.

Since I reported this problem I got a new iPhone that now has Face ID. That worked to unlock 1P and login to the site.

However, my experience has been that this problem is not absolutely solid, but is rather intermittent. So out of 20 such attempts, perhaps 6 would succeed as expect and 14 would have the requirement of unlocking with the master password each time. So with the new iPhone, only time will tell.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Also I checked that other thread. The reason I could not find it was because you were not the last one posting from AgileBits. In fact your answer I did respond to, and there where further posts from Mike. And I was only checking for the most recent post. Just for information; no need to reply to this comment.

• @jasimon9

Thank you for the update. If you do continue to encounter the issue on your new iPhone then let us know and we can investigate further. 🙂

-Dave

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I continue to have this problem: sometimes I need to login to a website, 1P has to be unlocked. Here is an example:

1. Go to United Airlines website.
    2. Attempt to login via 1P.
    3. Have to enter 1P master password (so far this would be expected)
    4. United Airlines website does not accept password from 1P.
    5. Try again--this time, first open 1P app and use master password to unlock it, hoping that would allow 1P to remember it has been unlocked.
    6. This time UA site accepts 1P password.
    7. Logout of UA (to continue the test)
    8. Attempt to login again to UA. 1P has to be unlocked.
    9. Go back to step 7 and continue any number of times.

I cannot image that this is the way 1P is designed, so it must be a bug. I have to add that this is an intermittent situation. It does not happen all the time. Sometimes it "just works".

• @jasimon9

That definitely doesn't sound right. Can you send an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can dig deeper? After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• @love2kruz

Thanks for the comment! The issue that you linked to doesn't appear to fully match what the original poster is describing since their issue is intermittent and they're also reporting an issue where a website is rejecting a filled password.

-Dave

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

My problem is that (intermittently) 1P has to be unlocked every time.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Support ID: [#NSW-17398-942]

• @jasimon9

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I've located your ticket and one of my colleagues will send you an email as soon as possible. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: NSW-17398-942

This discussion has been closed.