Merging two data files and syncing the result between two Macs

Options
Esther Warda
Esther Warda
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello, my favorite company!!!

I just got a macbook. I loaded the program on both machines, but I must be doing something wrong. When I'm on my iMac, I'll go to a new site, it asks me for my password OK for 1Pass and I enter it. Say that it's GoDaddy. Then when I'm on my macbook, it's not there. BUT... if I sync thru export and import, I'm deleting things that were created on the macbook.

Is there a way to share the database without overwriting? Gosh I hope I made sense!!

thanks!!! Esther

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Esther! :)

I'm not quite certain that I follow exactly what you are saying, but it sounds like you want to sync your 1Password data from one Mac to another. Is that correct?

Is all the data you want available in 1Password on one Mac or are some items on one Mac and some are on the other?

• Esther Warda
    Esther Warda
    Community Member
    Options

some items on one Mac and some are on the other. That's why I can't export from one and import into the other. The other has stuff the first one doesn't have and I'll lose those. Does that make more sense? Hard to explain. thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds pretty straightforward. Perhaps you mean something different when you say you can't export from one, but exporting the data from one and importing it into the other then setting up syncing with that complete data set should be exactly what you need to do.

On your iMac:

1. Select File > Backup Data File from the menu bar in 1Password.
    2. Then select File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File from the menu bar.
    3. Save the exported data to your Desktop. It is NOT ENCRYPTED, so please be sure you don't store it in your Dropbox folder or anywhere else online including email.
    4. Copy the file to a USB flash drive or use AirDrop to copy it to your MacBook if that option is available to you.

On your MacBook:

1. Select File > Backup Data File from the menu bar in 1Password.
    2. Import the file you copied from your iMac by selecting File > Import from the menu bar in 1Password. You should now have all of your data in 1Password on your MacBook.
    3. Then click the "Move to Dropbox**" button in 1Password's preferences on the General pane to set up Dropbox syncing. You'll need to make sure Dropbox is installed and running on your MacBook in order to click that button.
    4. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing.

Back on your iMac:

1. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing. Again, you'll need to make sure Dropbox is installed and running on your iMac in order to proceed.
    2. Double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder in Finder to open it in 1Password.
    3. All your data should now be in sync across both machines.

Be sure to securely delete all copies of the unencrypted 1PIF data you exported at the very beginning.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes or which specific step you are stuck on if you are having trouble completing the steps. Describe in as much detail as possible the action you are taking and what you are [not] seeing happen. With some additional information from you I can provide you with more specific assistance. :)

Cheers!

• Esther Warda
    Esther Warda
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!!! I'll try it today and let you know!!

• Esther Warda
    Esther Warda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there... now it's really screwy. Please look at my screen shot. It shows all my passwords in the browser plugin, but when I try and open the app downloaded from you (not apple) I get that. There is no Preferences nor menu options when using the plugin, so I can't export the data.
    And the file I have in Drop Dox is 2 weeks old. customsites.us/p1.jpg

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Which step are you stuck on? Did you perform step 1 and create a backup before doing anything else? If so, you can restore from the backup.

Please select File > Restore Data File from Backup from the menu bar in 1Password. Your most recent backup will be listed at the top and automatically highlighted. Click the "Restore Backup" button. YOU CAN DO THIS EVEN FROM THE WELCOME SCREEN. The menu bar is still available even when you are seeing the welcome screen rather than the main app. You can restore using the File menu even while viewing the welcome screen.

Please let me know if your data is back in the main application.

• Esther Warda
    Esther Warda
    Community Member
    Options

I hadn't tried any of the steps way above because I couldn't open the app. I just tried it now, but the most recent backup is 4/30. Something must haven't happened that next day. Going back to Drop Box, May 2 is not THAT bad. If it's all I got, that's OK. Oh... but I do have Time Machine. Where are they stored?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The default location of the data file in 1Password 3.8 is:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

If you were syncing via Dropbox then it will be in your Dropbox folder.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Esther Warda
    Esther Warda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad... Did you get the email?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

We received your email, but you attached the tool that is used to generate a Diagnostics Report rather than a Diagnostics Report itself. We'll continue to work with you via email until everything is resolved. Thanks for hanging in there. :)

HRW-87336-673

This discussion has been closed.