QR code scanning isn't functioning in 1Password for Mac

Options
kucoinlaundromat
kucoinlaundromat
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Mac

Hi, I thought that unassigning/re-assigning screen recording permissions would resolve the QR scanning feature not functioning properly. I have tried the basic troubleshooting otherwise ... updating to the latest version (today) and restarting the computer. When I click the "Scan QR Code" button, the scanner window does not appear. Instead, I immediately see the "QR code detection failed" error at the bottom of the screen. Please help. Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 80700049
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:QR code scanning isn't functioning on 1Password for Mac 8.7.0 80700049, on BETA channel

Comments

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1Password have access to the Camera?

• Hi @kucoinlaundromat, my apologies for the delayed response. Is this issue still occurring for you? We'll be happy to look into it if so.

• kucoinlaundromat
    kucoinlaundromat
    Community Member
    Options

No worries. I was able to resolve the issue with the help of 1Password support. Thanks!

• Excellent, thank you @kucoinlaundromat. We're always happy to make sure everything's working properly for you! Great to hear this is now resolved. 🙌

• RobJW
    RobJW
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Same issue here, 1Password for Mac 8.7.1 on macOS 12.3.1.

Clicking "Scan QR code" from the purple banner on an item leads to a pause, and then "QR code detection failed" in a black bubble at the bottom of the window. No scanner window appears as in 1Password 7. I have tried this with and without a QR code present on the screen, and have cycled the screen recording permission in Security & Privacy (restarting 1Password fully each time).

Edit, further: I've tried to scan the QR code via the icon in the field that appears when you're editing the entry, but the same thing happens.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

@RobJW "No scanner window appears as in 1Password 7."

A scanner window isn't supposed to appear in 1Password 8. It just detects and reads the QR code from the screen automatically without you having to manually frame it with the scanner window. As long as the QR code is not obscured, it should read it.

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Tried it from 1Password for Safari and from 1P8 Desktop app. Though I was on beta channel earlier in 1P8 days i just looked for this comment and realized I'm on the Production channel now. This was trying to setup 2FA on id.atlassian.com

1Password for Mac 8.7.1

80701002, on PRODUCTION channel

1Password for Safari 2.3.5

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member
    Options

Quick follow up; If i zoomed in on the QR page once ( just ⌘+) the "Scan QR" from the 1Password Desktop App worked

• RobJW
    RobJW
    Community Member
    Options

@snozdop Thanks, this worked.

Though I do prefer the old UI, as it's awkwards to juggle a (large) 1Password window on a small laptop screen so that a QR code in a browser behind is visible.

• dmusci
    dmusci
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get 1password to scan a QR code. I have tried 1password 7 (from App Store) and gave up on that after all the postings saying it doesn't work properly due to some API's. I tried 1password for safari extension, it doesn't find the QR code. I have tried 1password 8.8.0 from 1password website and it still doesn't find the QR code. I have 2 screens and after reading that v8 doesn't use a window but magically finds it on the screen, I have tried moving the 1password app window to the same screen as my browser. still no luck. I verified screen recording is permitted for 1password, and I noticed that 1password doesn't show up in the Camera privacy list. I've rebooted and restarted the apps involved. is there a comprehensive troubleshooting page for this problem? I never got password 7 to work, even with the hacks that other users (and 1password support) posted. I was hoping 1password 8 would actually work.

• Wizcas
    Wizcas
    Community Member
    Options

The auto detection of QR code in 1Password8 is actually a negative optimization. For example, it cannot detect the QR code on another screen. With the "failed detection" message, I could never know what is going on. It was a lucky shot that I found this post.

Another bug is that it cannot detect the GitHub 2FA QR code in dark theme. I have to open the QR image in another tab with a white background to make it work.

Please consider to improve it or bring back the scan window. The current UX is just crazy.

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I hate this new method of scanning QR codes. 50% of the time it doesn't work for me. The old method worked 100% of the time.
    Tried zooming in on the QR code image until it filled screen and it didn't help.
    Tried on primary screen and secondary. Tried with secondary monitor disconnected.
    Tried quitting and restarting 1Password.
    Nothing works.

• gladfrauseverely
    gladfrauseverely
    Community Member
    Options

fails for me too

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

I found a solution for myself.
    1. Right click on the QR code (Assuming this is possible).
    2. In the vault item's edit view, go to the OTP field and click the little QR code icon to the right of the form field input. It will detect the QR code that's been copied to your clipboard.

• @jholtslander

Thanks for sharing.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022
    Options

@gladfrauseverely et al.

Does the suggest from jholtsander help you? Can you confirm you have restarted the app after granting the appropriate permissions (screen recording) If so, please try restarting your device. That may help clear up any permission issues.

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

I made an error in my last message. Meant to say:

1. Right click on the QR code (Assuming this is possible) and copy to your clipboard.
  • hendrikk
    hendrikk
    Community Member
    Options

That right click copy&paste solution worked for me too. Thanks for sharing that @jholtslander.
    The default automated solution did not work at all. I am using a MacBook Air (M2) in clamshell mode with an external screen.

• ilsaloving
    ilsaloving
    Community Member
    Options

The copy/paste method does not work for me. This had been working fine the last time I tried it. Permissions are correct. Can't detect Microsoft QR code from firefox. Copying to to clipboard doesn't work. Pasting to preview doesn't work. Zooming in doesn't work.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE.

I'm URGENTLY trying to get something done and of all the IDIOTIC things, 1Password suddenly and magically not doing the one thing that had been working fine for literally YEARS.

Now I'm having to set up Phone SMS MFA because I don't have time to troubleshoot a problem THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE HAPPENING.

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree with ilsaloving. This should be a #1 (or near to) priority for fixing.

• schan
    schan
    Community Member
    Options

So I was having the same issue here, but after some tinkering I got it to work. Initially I was trying to input the qr code from the app while having the qr open in browser. I kept getting the same message as everyone else "QR detection failed".

What worked for me was to have the extension on your browser which then enables you to scan for qr code in the actual browser.
    Seems the disconnect is that it's unable to scan outside of its screen/browser.

Extension > item you're working with > three dots > edit > add field > one time pw > back to extension > three dots > scan qr code

Hope this helps some others

• antoninmasek
    antoninmasek
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I have multiple screens and it just does not detect the QR code. I even zoomed onto the QR code as much as I could, but nothing.

The only thing, that helped was jholtslander's tip. Copy the image to the clipboard and then press the QR code icon on the OTP field. So thank you for that.

Finally, at least in my opinion, the previous implementation was a bit more user-friendly.

• timbartley
    timbartley
    Community Member
    Options

One of the major problems is that it used to tell you if the QRCode was "not supported" - now that it just says "detection failed" it makes you think it just couldn't find it, not that it found it and can't use it. Eventually I found an old install of 1Password 7 on my phone that I could use to get the extra detail and then could quickly solve my problem.

• vincentpaca
    vincentpaca
    Community Member
    Options

This feature is the worst. I can't believe this isn't fixed yet and I can't believe it's not one of the highest priority items to fix.

• rheavner
    rheavner
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Still a problem for me too. Extension installed, and I tried the clipboard and even making an image of the file. This is on mbp m1, Ventura 13.0.1. Anyone know if there are plans to fix?
    Update: something that did work was using the phone camera on the laptop screen. :)

• AjantiDagger
    AjantiDagger
    Community Member
    Options

please re-enable the 1Password 7 functionality of being able to scan the QR manually instead of this automatic garbage. Sorry for the harsh words, but automatic simply does not work for all sites. At least give us the option to fall back to manual.

• hakunin
    hakunin
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Have to mess around with copying the image manually.

• adi9090
    adi9090
    Community Member
    Options

I had an issue with scanning QR code from my phone to setuo the desktop app.
    Issue was that I had dark theme enabled on my phone which inverted colors of QR code with gray background.
    Try to disable dark theme and try scanning it again.
    This should be fixed in the app, to not allow dark theme to affect the QR code, it should be the same regardless of dark theme state.

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

Dark theme makes no difference to me.

My old method of right-clicking on the QR code icon in 1Password to paste from clipboard, now no longer works. (v8.9.8)
    Instead I had to save the QR code to my desktop (base64 image to .png), open it in an image viewer app, select all, copy, and then let 1Password app detect it by left clicking the QR code icon. This worked for me on Dec 6th 2022

• thmsvlr
    thmsvlr
    Community Member
    Options

This is still not working properly, I was unable to set up a one time pw. I'm now forced to use another app, please fix this!