How do I Add a Custom Icon in 2022

Options
smartishhome
smartishhome
Community Member

Hello,

I would like to add a custom icon for an item saved in 1Password but the search results deemed most relevant appear outdated so I would appreciate the latest and greatest info. (I swear I have done this before but I cannot recall how to make it work...)

To facilitate the discussion lets assume I am using the desktop 1Password7 app for Mac and I want to add a custom icon to a 'Logins' item. And just in case its relevant, the login item is for a device on my local area network (my NAS) and I do not want a "Rich Icon" though I do have 1Password set to show Rich Icons for other items and external websites. I am agnostic on the device or method to use to add the custom icon so whatever is the easiest to explain or fewest steps to do would be great (except I do not have access to an Android device so any way other than via Android).

Thanks in advance for helping me find the current best way to add custom icons!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:add custom icon

Comments

• Hey @smartishhome:

To add a custom icon in the 1Password 7 for Mac app:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac app.
    2. Locate the item you'd like to add a custom icon, and click Edit.
    3. Double click on the icon.
    4. Select the file you'd like to use for the icon.

Let me know if that helps or you have any questions. 😊

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, in the latest version of 1Password for Mac, they removed the ability to re-size custom icons, to fit the 1Password icon window. Now half of the icon gets cut-off when you select it. I contacted 1Password, and they told me that customers have to "vote" on whether they want to bring back the ability to re-size custom icons to fit correctly. If 1Password gets enough requests (whatever number that is), they will consider putting the feature back. Why they removed this feature is beyond me. It creates a lot of headaches for customers, who now have to figure out a way to edit icon sizes using a third party graphics app, each time they want to use a custom icon in 1Password. From all the earlier versions of the app, this always was an easy-to-use feature; one of the most fun parts of the app. Its recent omission is very strange and disappointing.

• Hi @whydavewhy,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about this, I understand how icon resizing would be useful and would also like to see it in 1Password 8. To clarify our internal process, while we do track user feedback to help us inform where we can change or add to 1Password, there isn't an arbitrary number of customer requests for something to be added or not added.

It sounds like your feedback has already been counted for this, but let me know if not and I can do so. I'll also add your use case notes. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-1322

This discussion has been closed.