Why does the FireFox extension pop-up window look so dire?

Options
thought_police
thought_police
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Overall 1Password looks good, however curiously the window that pops up when I click the button on FireFox looks really dire and out of place.

I appreciate "dire" is a subjective term, really, I'm saying it is very different from the other 1Password windows which are quite understated. The window for FireFox is like something from the 70s, it really colourful and bright, the icons are different. So I'm wondering if I have things set up correctly?

I do have Safari and Chrome and the extension pop-up windows for those are just fine, normal 1Password windows.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @thought_police - Thanks for checking in about this 🙂

That certainly sounds a bit odd, if you're comfortable, could you share a screenshot of the window you're seeing that looks 70s funky? (be sure not to display any sensitive data). Alternatively, you can reach out to us at support@1password.com and we can take a look there as well.

Let me know!

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I've included a pic below. It is in Dark mode. As you can see I've cut out all data from the pic.

I'm feeling a bit bad about saying it looks dire now, it doesn't look too bad, but it is really different from the standard pop-up window for 1Password in Safari and Chrome.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @thought_police - thanks for posting this. 🙂

Maybe I need my eyes checked, but I'm not sure I see what you're referring to as the difference in the standard Chrome popup:

Let me know what I'm missing?

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Well that is interesting.

My Chrome pop-up looks like the Safari pop-up which is the look that 1Password has had for some time and is not like that.

Does your standard Safari pop-up look like this?

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @thought_police

A couple questions:

• What version of the 1Password extension do you have installed in Chrome? You can check by pasting chrome://extensions into the browser address bar.
    • What version of the 1Password extension do you have installed in Safari? You can check by opening Safari, then click 'Safari' in the macOS menu bar (top left) > Preferences > Extensions tab

Let me know! :)

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Paul

Chrome extension: 4.7.5.90
    FireFox extension: 2.3.2

I can't actually get the number for Safari, all it says is 7.9.4 which of course is the version of 1Password.

Anyway Chrome and Safari both have the interface that I am used to whereas FireFox has, what I am now thinking is a newer interface which is a bit disco.

So I am wondering if I need to update the extensions in Chrome and Safari or something. I always install extension upgrades so I don't know why there is this inconsistency.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @thought_police thanks for getting back to me 🙂

The extension that you have installed in Chrome is the older 'Classic' extension, whereas the Firefox one is the newer browser extension.

I'm sorry to hear if the newer interface isn't quite what you expected. I'm more than happy to pass your feedback along to the team here. Let me know!

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting used to the new extension now actually. I retract my reference to it as "dire" now I'm thinking of it as "disco".

Anyway what matters really is that there is nothing wrong. I guess I just have to update the extension in Chrome and Safari and then it will be the new disco extension as well. So there will be interface continuity in a disco kind of a way!

• Hi @thought_police,

I'm happy to see that the current 1Password in the browser has started to grow on you.

The 1Password classic extension is an older version that doesn't receive updates since 2019. Although it is still working and supporting the 1Password 7 desktop app, its primary purpose is for license users to access their local/standalone vaults.

On the other hand, the current 1Password in the browser has continuous development and improved functionality compared to the classic version. Therefore, I'd strongly suggest you switch to the current 1Password in the browser.

Here's the link to get 1Password – Password Manager - Chrome Web Store

A quick note here, the 1Password for Safari extension is built for 1Password 8 for Mac, and it won't integrate with 1Password 7 for Mac.

Suppose you're interested. Here's a link to download the: 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access 🥰 — 1Password Support Community and the link to download 1Password for Safari on the App Store.

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I am now up to speed with 1Password. I have 8 and the "in the browser" extensions for the three browsers I use, Safari, Chrome and FireFox. Actually it is all looking good, I've got used to the new look and now I am liking it!

• That's excellent news. We'll do our very best to keep you liking err loving it. 😉

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I have liked err loved 1Password for many years. I first started using it when it was called "1Passwrd".

Now I am really liking the new look actually.

Isn't it strange that with 8 a separate app is required for the Safari extension? Why not build that into 8?

• Hey @thought_police:

Great question. The Safari extension included with 1Password 7 is a Safari App Extension, and can be included in any app, whether or not it's downloaded from the App Store. 1Password for Safari however is a Safari Web Extension (which is more closely related to 1Password for our other available browsers). Safari Web Extensions can only be distributed through the App Store at this time, so this is why the separate "1Password for Safari" app exists - to contain the extension.

Jack

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

I knew there must be a reason. Thank you for the explanation.

• You're very welcome @thought_police!

Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with. 😁

Jack

This discussion has been closed.