I wanted to use a 1password to keep/change passwords.

sreesebdc
sreesebdc
Community Member

Hi I’m a new user and installed the app on my iPad told safari to use 1password however when I go to make a new password it doesn’t recommend one for me either in Safari or inside an app. It also seems that I am constantly having to re-enter my 1password password every time I try and logon to a different site. What am I doing wrong or can you suggest tutorials/video that will help me get started.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: I wanted to use a 1password to keep/change passwords. Can’t seem to get it to work.

Comments

• Hi @sreesebdc:

Thanks for giving 1Password a try! Have you enabled 1Password in AutoFill settings: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your iPhone and iPad

We have a getting started guide here as well: Get to know 1Password for iOS

Let me know if that helps, or if you'd like me to dig in further with you!

Jack

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Jack, sorry I haven’t gotten back sooner but I got pretty frustrated. I typed a response and when I went to post it I needed to log in and couldn’t remember my password 😕 so I gave up until today. I already had auto fill turned on and actually used 1password to set a new password on a website yesterday. I guess I have two issues one is that when I am using a banking app and go to change my password inside the app 1password is AWOL and doesn’t suggest a password. What am I doing wrong? The other issue how often do I need to type the master password? My iPad and iPhone say that I am reusing passwords or using passwords that are easily guessed so I want to use 1password to help me change passwords and remember them. When I go to one website 1password will ask me for my password and if I change websites 1password asks for my password again, doesn’t it realize it’s me?

Really frustrating that I can’t seem to figure this out. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited April 2022

Hey @sreesebdc ! The behaviour you mentioned is a limitation of our integration with the Password AutoFill feature - when going through Password AutoFill's interface to open 1Password, 1Password is opening in a more restricted mode than when you launch the main app itself. In this more restricted mode we're unable to perform the background tasks necessary to set up things like a perpetual unlock. This means that you'll need to authenticate each time you use 1Password through Password AutoFill.

Do you have biometrics (Touch or Face ID) enabled on your iPad and iPhone? If yes, you can use Touch or Face ID to unlock 1Password so you do not need to enter your password each time.

In regard to changing one of your passwords in a banking app, can you let me know which app it is? I'll test it out on my end and let you know what I find out.

Alvin

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Alvin, I’m using the Morgan Stanley Mobile App. It won’t let me create a smart password thru 1password. I’ve found finger print and Face ID not very reliable at unlocking the phone or iPad so I just use a passcode. It is a real pain to type my 1password over and over again there is no workaround? Thanks

• Hi @sreesebdc:

Thanks for clarifying which app you're running into trouble with.

Here's a few things to keep in mind:

• If you're having trouble with Face ID or Touch ID on your devices, reaching out to Apple Support might be helpful: https://support.apple.com/
    • Your account password should be strong, but also relatively easy to type. As an example, I use a memorable password of 4 words generated using the 1Password password generator. How to choose a good 1Password account password
    • It's possible to use a PIN to unlock 1Password for iOS instead of Face ID / Touch ID. To do this, tap Settings > Advanced > Security > PIN Code. Note that if you use a PIN, you can't use Face ID or Touch ID.
    • No matter whether you're using Face ID, Touch ID, or a PIN code, you should always remember your account password. If you forget your account password, we're unable to reset it for you.

I don't have a Morgan Stanley account, but was able to successfully open 1Password in the app, by tapping Passwords above the keyboard:

This opens the 1Password AutoFill interface, allowing you to search for a password, or create a new Login item.

Let me know if that helps, or if you're still running into trouble here.

Jack

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Jack, Morgan Stanley app is now working as expected, Thanks for the help! I’ve made great strides on adding passwords and logins to my vault. I wonder if you can tell me why I don’t get an auto fill prompt for 1password when using my on point credit union app? I’ve tried creating logins however when I try and logon no auto fill from 1password. I need to click on the key icon and search the vault for on point and then it will fill the password. thanks for the tip on setting pin access 👍

• Hi @sreesebdc:

If you tap the "Passwords" icon when in your credit union's app, you'll see a Create Login button, like so:

If there's a URL in the Create Login button (like instagram.com in my above example), then the app you're creating a Login in has what's known as an Associated Domain set. This is what app developers can use to tell iOS, and AutoFill providers like 1Password, the URL that belongs with the app, and 1Password will then show Login items matching that URL.

If an app doesn't set an Associated Domain however, 1Password has no way of knowing which Login item should be presented. Using the app's remember me functionality, or reaching out to your credit union and asking them to implement Associated Domains would be your best bet.

Jack

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Jack, I do have the remember me toggled on but no luck so I’ll call the credit union and see what they say. Thanks

• @sreesebdc

Thank you for the reply. Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you had no luck? Do you see a website address URL below the Create Login button that appears after you follow these steps:

1. Open the OnPoint app.
    2. Tap on the password field in the app.
    3. Tap on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard.

-Dave

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Dave, yes please see the screen shot below

I did try and create a login with that URL which still doesn’t give me an auto fill after creation.

Oddly enough see the next screen shot after you click on the create login it changes the URL:

I’ve tried both URLs ( just onpointcu.com and https://secure.OnPoint.com…) with no luck getting the password to auto fill with either one. The only way I can login is to touch the key symbol, open the 1password vault, search for OnPoint and click on the login.

I called the bank yesterday and they had me reinstall the app which had no effect so they made a help ticket and I haven’t heard back.

Any other ideas? Thanks

• @sreesebdc

Thank you for the new screenshot. It looks like the associated domain for the OnPoint app is https://onpointcu.com/. This is what Password AutoFill is using to match the OnPoint app to your Login item for OnPoint saved in 1Password. Please try the following:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen (not from inside the OnPoint app).
    2. Find and tap on the Login item that contains your OnPoint credentials. Then tap Edit.
    3. Scroll down and tap Add URL.
    4. Type in: https://onpointcu.com/
    5. Tap Done.

Next, follow these steps to refresh Password AutoFill so that it grabs updated data from 1Password:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen
    2. Tap on Settings.
    3. Tap on Password AutoFill.
    4. You'll see a "AutoFill Passwords Updating" banner at the top of the screen. Wait until it disappears and then close 1Password.

Then try to fill your login into the OnPoint app again. Does it work now? I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

I thought you might be on to something here but alas no difference…I added the url and refreshed auto fill however still no luck when I open the OnPoint app the only option I get is the little key which makes me open and search the vault…BTW if I use safari and go to the OnPoint website it auto fills as expected. This only happens if I use the OnPoint app. Thanks

• @sreesebdc

I was unable to get the create login to see the domain. I tried 1Password 7 and our early access 1Password 8. I would recommend reaching out to the credit union about the associated domains. This is by far the most common reason we see for this behavior. I am curious about your screenshot. It appears to show the domain and I could not replicate that.

This discussion has been closed.