Please store configuration data in APPDATA

Daniel1
Daniel1
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Windows

The 1Password app is storing application related configuration data under "%USERPROFILE%\.1Password". While for *nix like systems that is fine, in Windows the standard folders are different.

In the Windows operating system, the better place to store the data would be %APPDATA% or %LOCALAPPDATA% (or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow for Low Integrity Level), depending on whether the settings should roam to other computers.

1Password Version: 80601001
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

1Password actually stores its local data into %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. A %USERPROFILE%.1Password is created but always empty, at least for me.

I bet it's not in the roaming directory, because if you do have roaming profiles, roaming profiles are copied to every machine you log in and are stored on a remote file server, which puts this sensitive data completely out of your personal control and into the hands of whoever is admin of all the machine(s) you login. That might be ok for tightly controlled and audited IT environments, but it's not an ideal world with everyone living in tightly controlled and competently managed IT environments. The local 1Password database might also be specific to the machine for sync purposes, so it might not be shareable between multiple machines.

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

You're right, the folder is empty. Maybe it's just a bug, that creates that folder.

• Hey @Daniel1, thanks for reaching out. @Tertius3 was spot on, 1Password stores it's local data into %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password.

Regarding the %USERPROFILE%.1Password folder, it looks like it's a side-effect of the SSH agent and not something that will be written to.

Ali

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member

@ali.hazime Do you think it would be possible for you to have the SSH agent point to an AppData-Folder as well? I know it's not a big deal, but 1Password isn't the first and the last application with that habit, but one less application that clutters up my user profile folder, would already be amazing. I'm sure it would just be a simple and quick fix.

• Hi @Daniel1, I have passed your request regarding the SSH agent and the AppData folder on to our development team. Thanks for the suggestion!

ref: dev/core/core#14856

This discussion has been closed.