1Password 8 for Mac

Options
Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member

I was searching this forum and the 1Password website, looking for the answer to a question I posted yesterday, and stumbled across this page announcing 1Password 8: https://1password.com/products/

• Was I notified of this update, and somehow missed it? Or are users supposed to discover it by themselves?
  • I previously received 1Password updates via the Mac App Store. Will 1P 8 be available on the Mac App Store?
  • Does upgrading to 1P 8 affect my "families" subscription?
  • What happens if I upgrade to 1P 8, but other family members stay on 1P 7?
  • What happens if I upgrade to 1P 8 on my Mac, but stay on 1P 7 on my iOS devices?
  • Does upgrading to 1P 8 affect how my 1P data is stored?

I have a number of questions of this type, and I assume there is a transition guide somewhere to answer such questions. Can someone point me to it? Thx.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 7.94
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @Newbie2018:

Great questions!

1Password 8 is our newest app, built on a shared platform we call the 1Password Core. We were very excited to release the Linux version of 1Password 8 as a stable release first, followed by 1Password 8 for Windows late last year. 1Password 8 for Mac is still getting its finishing touches as it's in beta, so you definitely haven't missed a notification. Keep an eye out, and soon 1Password 8 for Mac will be available as the new stable version of 1Password for Mac! If you're feeling adventurous, you're more than welcome to give the beta a try now: 1Password 8 for Mac Beta 🥰 — 1Password Support Community

Upgrading to 1Password 8 won't affect your 1Password family account at all. Your other family members can continue to use 1Password 7, or 1Password 8 on their devices.

We're still in very early access for 1Password 8 for iOS, so while you're more than welcome to give it a try, 1Password 7 for iOS will work just fine alongside 1Password 8.

Jack

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

All clear. Thank you.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Newbie2018

I'm happy that Jack was able to answer your questions. 😊

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

It seems like 1Password 8 is now (May 2022) a general access release for Mac. However "Check for updates" says that mine

1Password 7 Version 7.9.4 (70904001) 1Password Store

is the latest. I am on an a 2020 M1 Mac running macOS 12.3.1 .

Sri

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

Replying to my post above: Following is not a recommendation (I am still trying to figure this out).

From reading this other post it appears that 1P8 is not an upgrade to 1P7.x but an all new release. It seems one can have 7.x and 8 on the same mac (don't know if data structures have changed and what will happen if one goes back and forth between the versions).

• ag_tommy
    Options

@sri

We highly recommend using 1Password 8 and only 1Password 8. The reason being is having both apps open at the same time can cause confusion. We have folks (like myself) using both when helping our users. It is not an ideal situation moving back and forth.

Yes, 1Password 8 is a new release requiring a new download.

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks.

1Password 8 is a new release requiring a new download

That is the part that was not clear from any of the news releases.
    Is a new iOS app also out? I am not seeing it on the (US) app store?

• ag_tommy
    Options

My apologies for any confusion. Sadly, no, not yet. The iOS app just had its 4th beta release this week. Things are moving along nicely. Hopefully, we'll see it released to the world in the not too distant future.

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy All good. Thanks for the update.

• ag_tommy
    Options

You're most welcome. Have a great day!

• eveningclouds
    eveningclouds
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I'm confused. Where is the announcement for 1P 7 users saying that 1P 8 is available, that upgrades are free (are they?), that it requires a new download and installation, that all 1P 7 data will be preserved, that billing remains the same, etc. etc. Is this a product rollout or just a slow roll?

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@eveningclouds I am no expert here just a fellow (ex-) 1P7 user. I happened to hear of 1P8's availability through an email (I'm on some Agilebits mailing list). Agilebits doesn't consider it an upgrade of 1P7; rather as an all new product. Whether or not continued use of 1P8 is free for you depends on your current access to 1P7 (standalone, subscription or family plan or whatever else they have to offer). I will leave that for some 1P team member to elaborate on.

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

A "slow roll" might be a good way to describe it. We have millions of users and we wanted to make sure we’d be able to talk with anyone if they had questions so we’re doing a staged rollout. We've announced v8 through the tech media, social media, on our blog, and on this community forum. We're working on how to best notify existing customers of the update otherwise.

1Password 8 is included for folks who have a membership, and a membership is required in order to use it. For further I'd encourage you to check out our announcement here:

1Password 8 for Mac is here! 🎉🙌

Ben

This discussion has been closed.