How do I disable form autosubmit?

Comments

• purplelizard
    purplelizard
    Community Member

+1 autosubmit is making 1password 8 nearly unusable for me, for all the reasons folks have mentioned.

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member

Yet another use-case where this is killing me: keychain access prompts -- those dialogs where the OS says some app wants to use a keychain item, and after filling in the password, you have the option to Allow or Always Allow, with the default being the latter. If I use 1P's universal fill to fill these, it auto-submits on the Always Allow. This means I'll get prompted again the next time the app needs it, which could be immediately, or next time I launch, or whenever. For my trusted apps, I simply want to hit Always Allow and be done with it, but auto-submit effectively kills that option.

• kmoya
    kmoya
    Community Member

+1 for me as well on the autosubmit issue making 1Password 8 unusable. I had to uninstall it and downgrade to 1Password 7 until this gets sorted out.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

+ 1 please!!!

• levymetal
    levymetal
    Community Member

+1. I would also like the option to globally disable autosubmit.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

+1 - need to have this back - I hate auto-submit.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

(minus) - 1 I love auto submit

• ccampbell
    ccampbell
    Community Member

This has been a big problem for me and one of several that's prompting me to downgrade. This is such a regression from previous behavior, that it really ought to be bumped to the top of the developer's backlog. Please fix, and while we wait, please continue to provide maintenance on 1P7.

• Shango0
    Shango0
    Community Member

Good morning @PeterG_1P,

I was wondering, could you provide some kind of visibility into how much urgency or how many votes this request is getting? It's been well over a month here and the request doesn't seem too hard to implement; just don't issues a submit action if the user has checked a box. It fundamentally breaks things for a number of my use cases and is a strong force for me looking to move away from 1Password for both my work and business use cases.

CC: @Dave_1P

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

How many votes ! Easy, 65 replies, minus 7 that are answers comments from 1password employees
    some post are doubled as from the same people, and some posts are in favor of autosubmit

I would say on the total of 1password users against autosubmit this is very minimal
    so no urgency here

if 1Password agrees to have it as optional, good for you

but I would disagree if they remove that feature because of a few

• Shango0
    Shango0
    Community Member

@Gilles9 as far as I can tell there isn’t a single person here asking for removal of auto submit as a feature, just that it be optional for people where the flow doesn’t work. Please take some time to understand the things others are posting about or requesting before attempting to argue abasing them.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I say above that I agree IF it is optional for the ones that cannot live with it
    I am not abasing them, I submit my opinion
    You asked how many votes !

• jpmtam
    jpmtam
    Community Member

+1 vote please on disabling the autosubmit. From a security perspective, my preference is to always execute a webform myself manually. Thanks for the consideration.

• spamminator
    spamminator
    Community Member

+1 vote to disable autosubmit :)

• rs1970
    rs1970
    Community Member

+1 vote to disable autosubmit. Is there really no way to deactivate it?

• mgl03
    mgl03
    Community Member

I agree. Here's another vote to offer a setting to disable autosubmit.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Note, @BobW documented in another thread how auto-submit is not just a theoretical security issue, but actually resulted in non-trivial privacy related issues.

I would love to hear someone from AgileBits comment on that, hopefully acknowledging the ramifications.

Until then, +10k on this issue for me, please.

• Hi folks,

Thank you for the continued feedback on this. I don't want to give anyone false hope, but I do think this is something we'll add a toggle for.

Ben

• scottsb
    scottsb
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

+1 This is essential to have. I had stayed on the old 1PW Chrome extension for as long as possible (which seemed faster & less clunky), but since it is not compatible with 1PW 8, I had to upgrade.

It's probably a separate bug, but for some reason on several sites (chase.com most recently, but a few others too) when I hit ⌘-/, it autofills some completely irrelevant credentials (ones that don't share a domain or subdomain and don't appear if I click the dropdown list). I would have a chance of catching that if I had to click the submit button myself, but with autosubmit on, I don't.

This is the kind of polish that originally made me choose 1PW over the competition years ago, but it seems like the eye has drifted from the focus on usability with all the newer functionality. I appreciate the newer functionality, but if the core features aren't right, I'll start looking elsewhere again.

• mikeytwice
    mikeytwice
    Community Member

+1. Autofill is great, autosubmit isn't, and causes headaches.

(I would also like the option to disable autofill for anything that isn't a username/password field, but that's a separate issue entirely.)

• wcmolina
    wcmolina
    Community Member

+1. Please add a toggle to disable auto submit.

• Hi @mikeytwice / @wcmolina:

Thanks for your feedback. As Ben mentioned above, we're exploring the option for a toggle on this feature.

@scottsb:

The specific issue you're mentioning should be sorted out in version 8.8.0 of 1Password for Mac. After updating 1Password for Mac, look for a Login item (or items) linked to "Google Chrome". Edit that item, and remove the link to Google Chrome. From that point on you should be set and they should no longer be filled when not matching.

Jack

• rbsqt
    rbsqt
    Community Member

+1 for ability to disable autosubmit. Got locked out of my bank for submitting the wrong password too many times.

• broz
    broz
    Community Member

Hope this gets fixed soon. It's a serious enough problem that I'm looking for another password manager

• patrickmax
    patrickmax
    Community Member

+1
    Agree - there are some devices that use bad logic that require you to add the OTP code in the SAME field as the password (SOPHOS XG firewall) for instance. I'm not saying they should do this like this, but it is, and I need to stop the auto submit or turn it OFF for select few items. Please...?

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2022

Hi folks, thank you for your feedback on this, and I'm sorry for the frustration it has caused.

As Jack mentioned, we're currently exploring a toggle option for the auto-submit feature, and will be happy to share news on this when we have news to share.

As a matter of policy, we generally don't give timelines for release of updates / improvements / fixes / new features, because software development is a dynamic thing, and in our experience, while it can be frustrating to have to wait until something is done to share it, it's almost always the least-problematic option. We'll look forward to letting you know when there's news on this feature, and really appreciate your patience as we work to make the app even better yet.

(Also, I have added votes for everyone who wasn't already tallied - notwithstanding that we're also already working on this feature in any case. Gotta make sure all the ts are crossed. 👍)

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member

+1

Glad you are working on it.

This is very important to me. Once it is in there, I will update all my systems to V8.

• meyertee1pw
    meyertee1pw
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P:

The specific issue you're mentioning should be sorted out in version 8.8.0 of 1Password for Mac. After updating 1Password for Mac, look for a Login item (or items) linked to "Google Chrome". Edit that item, and remove the link to Google Chrome. From that point on you should be set and they should no longer be filled when not matching.

That's a pretty nasty bug, because in my case I've been submitting my PayPal password (which was linked to Chrome for some reason) to dozens of sites without even noticing. Which, incidentally, is the reason the autosubmit feature should be turned off by default, or at least I should be able to turn it off. Please fix this, it's insecure!

• Thank you @meyertee1pw and @Chris100 for the additional detail here. I can understand why this is important to you and have included your feedback in our existing project regarding auto-submit handling. We'll be happy to provide more information on this once we've got updates to share, and thank you for your patience while we work on it!

ref: dev/core/core#14506

This discussion has been closed.