How do you upload a file via the Connect Server API?

Hello there,

while scanning through https://developer.1password.com/docs/connect/connect-api-reference I noticed that uploading a file (or even downloading it) is not documented. How can I implement that with access to a connect server, which is already setup, and an access token which is allowed to write to 1PW?

Our use-case is to regenerate signing certificates each build in a github actions pipeline.
We don't want to loose the private key so we want to upload the private key to 1Password.

Kind regards,
Malte

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @nottmeyprotofy,

Unfortunately, the current version of Connect does not support uploading files to 1Password.

However, your use case is an interesting one and we're taking this feature request into consideration.

We will let you know when we will release a new version of Connect that will have the capability of uploading files.

• nottmeyprotofy
    nottmeyprotofy
    Community Member

Hey @eddy_1P,

Thank you for the fast response and taking this feature into consideration. This will likely help anyone who wants to automate secret handling/updating on file basis (e.g. certificates, config files, key files, token files). Rolling certificates (and access tokens, etc.) are a very common pattern with high potential for automation. :D

Alright, I will need to look for a workaround meanwhile, but hoping to hear from you soon.

Best,
    Malte

• KeithRotera
    KeithRotera
    Community Member

I would like to request this as well. I have YAML files with secrets configs that I consume to generate values for Helm charts since each has a structure to it.

• sshipway
    sshipway
    Community Member

Add a plus-one from me, too. Since 1Password doesn't support this, we're likely to move all certificate handling into Azure keyvaults instead

• HenningT
    HenningT
    Community Member

Please add another vote for this feature!

We are currently migrating from KeePass, where we keep a fair amount of file based information, such as SSL certificates. At this stage, we are able to automate migration of several hundred credentials from our KeePass databases, but we would appreciate the ability to do the same for files.

• simcax
    simcax
    Community Member

@eddy_1P - any news on this? I am looking to upload ssh keys we generate. Even better would be an endpoint to generate ssh key/value pairs :-)

This discussion has been closed.