Upgraded to 1Password 8, Safari extension not loaded

Kevin_P
Kevin_P
Community Member

I've just upgraded from 1P7 to 1P8 and the application seems to be running OK. However the new 1Password for Safari does not show up in the extensions list in Safari preferences. The browser extension app downloaded OK and when I run it it tells me to open Safi prefs and enable it but it's not listed there

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:Upgraded to 1Password 8, Safari extension not loaded

Comments

• aessing
    aessing
    Community Member

I have the same issue

• Hello @Kevin_P and @aessing! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're both having trouble enabling 1Password in Safari. Just to confirm: you've both installed 1Password for Safari, it's visible in your Applications folder, and you've launched it at least once, correct? If so, let's try refreshing Safari's extension registrations. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/open-or-quit-terminal-apd5265185d-f365-44cb-8b09-71a064a42125/mac
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    4. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.

I hope that helps. 😊

• tosch
    tosch
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P, your steps sadly didn't work for us. The only thing that worked was to uninstall 1Password and the extensions completely and install both fresh.

Since we are managing more than 100 1P accounts, this cannot be done manually. As stated in another thread, there won't be any updates on the 7 version which leaves us stuck in a very unpleasant situation. :(

• @tosch

I'm sorry to hear that the steps didn't work. Do you have many users affected by this issue? Our team would love to investigate to see where things are going wrong. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from an affected Mac that is currently experiencing this issue:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• tosch
    tosch
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, I'll try to do that. On which exact step of the process should I create this report?

• aessing
    aessing
    Community Member

Hello @Dave_1P,

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

Did the trick for me.

Thanks

Andre

• @tosch

You don't have to reproduce the issue again before generating and sending in the diagnostics report. The report will contain a log that will allow us to dig deeper into what might be going wrong on your Mac.

@aessing

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue! 😊

• Jonathanlloyd
    Jonathanlloyd
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Me too!

The suggestion below (as mentioned above) worked for us:

Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

Thank you, Hello @Kevin_P and @aessing!

• tosch
    tosch
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, my colleague said since he had to install completely from scratch, he said that there was no logfile to share. If we experience it again, I'll think of you.

• @tosch

If your friend experiences the issue again in the future then please have him try the new tool that we've included inside of 1Password 8 to fix this issue:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. In the menubar click Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension

I hope that helps. 🙂

• tosch
    tosch
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, Thanks for the hint, we'll give it a try!

• @tosch

Sounds good! If you run into the issue again, and the built-in tool doesn't fix things, then I'll be happy to help further. 😊

• BlueSkies999
    BlueSkies999
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I was having the same issue with 1Password for Safari not showing in the extensions list. I used the Troubleshooting tip you mentioned above and it worked great. Thanks.

• @BlueSkies999

I'm happy to hear that the built-in tool fixed the issue for you. 😊

• Gerrry
    Gerrry
    Community Member

My problem exactly. Anyone have a Fix?

• @Gerrry

Have you tried the fix that I mentioned earlier in the thread:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. In the menubar click Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension

If that doesn't work then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• Gerrry
    Gerrry
    Community Member

Forgot to reply, thank you for this Dave, it fixed my problem!
    G.

• On behalf of Dave you're very welcome, @Gerrry! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. 😁

This discussion has been closed.