1Password incorrectly reports Wavebox is out of date

Options
2»

Comments

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened again with version 8.10.7 (81007041) macOS. It's getting beyond annoying that this has been going on for over 12 months now

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Thomas8520! I'm so sorry to hear that this issue cropped up again with the latest update.

At the moment, the decision to allow Wavebox in the Beta version only is a temporary compromise, and we do apologise for the inconvenience caused each time a newer Production version is released.

Our browser team are looking into methods of implementing a new mechanism that will allow users to trust any browsers they want. Once that new mechanism is ready to implement, it will replace the current Beta compromise. At the moment I'm not able to provide a timeline for this, however you can keep an eye on our release notes page for news on any upcoming changes: 1Password Releases

If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know!

• djhaystack
    djhaystack
    Community Member
    Options

I know my little personal account doesn't matter to you but this will be my last year with 1Password due to this ongoing issue.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @djhaystack! Thanks for letting us know that this is a deal-breaker for you, and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused. While I don't have any updates or a timeline to share at the moment, our team are working on improving the situation here.

If there is anything else we can help with in the meantime, let us know 😄

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

And it's happening once again with version 8.10.8 (81008045)...

• Hello @Thomas8520,

Sorry for the late response and continued troubles with Wavebox and the 1Password beta. As you may have already seen, a new beta (8.10.9-12) was released on July 03, 2023 - 1Password Releases.

If you weren't aware, we're looking to make more improvements on this front. You can read more about this here: Extending support for trusted web browsers — 1Password Community

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, it's great to see that there's going to be a fix for this 👍

• You're most welcome, @Thomas8520! Many will be looking forward to extended browser support.

Keep an eye on our 1Password Releases page for future updates.

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened again with version 8.10.9 (81009046). Is there any kind of time frame when the extended support for trusted web browsers is going to be released?

• Hi @Thomas8520 - Sorry for the late reply.

The latest Beta (8.10.10-14) was released on July 28, 2023 and should help with Wavebox. If you don't already have it you can find the details here:

Is there any kind of time frame when the extended support for trusted web browsers is going to be released?

We don't usually set release dates for new features and I don't have a timeframe to share. Please continue to monitor our release page for the latest feature implementations:

Do let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be happy to help!

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately this version has broken biometrics completely, we’ve had numerous reports from Wavebox users about this over the last couple of days. Also looks like other browsers with the beta channel requirement have been affected.

More info here: https://1password.community/discussion/141569/bug-flashing-windows-no-biometric-auth-with-the-latest-1password-wavebox-sidekick

• Hello @Thomas8520,

I'm sorry for any disruption this has caused. I appreciate you providing that link to the related conversation. I can see that the conversation has continued via email with the Extensions Support team.

While I have no additional news to share at this time, the team is continuing to investigate based off of the issues my colleagues have filed. We're hoping to have this resolved as soon as possible.

• tnfenster
    tnfenster
    Community Member
    Options

Once again, the 1Password desktop app has switched to the production channel, although I have set up "beta" in the settings, which causes the known issue that the wavebox integration doesn't work properly anymore. I see positive comments a couple of months ago, but it looks like this still isn't fixed?

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, version 8.10.6 of the 1Password desktop app has just been released which has support for adding custom browsers. We've added some instructions on how to enable this on the Wavebox Knowledge Base https://wavebox.io/kb/1password-extension/

• AliH1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hey @Thomas8520, thanks for sharing that!

As a note, custom browsers support is only available on 1Password for Mac at this time, so that setting will not be available on Windows/Linux devices just yet.

Ali

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @AliH1P, I've updated our Knowledge bases to still direct 1Password users to use the beta channel on Windows and Linux. Is there any timeframe for this heading to other platforms or any fix for 1Password periodically not working even when selecting the beta channel?

• Thanks for your reply @Thomas8520. We don't currently have a timeframe to share regarding when the custom browsers feature will make it to the other platforms.

For Windows users, the Beta channel will continue to be the go-to method for the time being.

On the other hand, Linux users can use any release of 1Password and manually add Wavebox to a custom_allowed_browsers file. Here are some example steps:

1. Ensure that 1Password for Linux is installed along with 1Password in your browser, and that browser integration is enabled from Settings → Browser.
    2. Close 1Password completely.
    3. Open a terminal, and run `sudo mkdir /etc/1password` (if you've done this already, you can skip it).
    4. Run `cd /etc/1password`.
    5. Run `sudo gedit custom_allowed_browsers`.
    6. Write in the appropriate browser filename- in this case `wavebox`.
    7. Save the file.
    8. In the terminal, run `sudo chown root:root /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers && sudo chmod 755 /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers`
    9. Run 1Password - it will read the new config file and make the appropriate connections.
    10. Launch your browser!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ali

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @AliH1P for the update on Windows and the instructions for Linux. I've updated our Knowledge base to add this

• You're most welcome @Thomas8520, happy to help!

Ali

• ethomp
    ethomp
    Community Member
    Options

This happens to me with some frequency on Windows and macOS. I think that technically there is a newer version of Chromium that Wavebox hasn't had a chance to incorporate and push out. The problem usually just lasts a day or so (on the beta channel), maybe a little longer if the Chromium release cycle and the Wavebox team had a schedule conflict (like during the weekend). 😜

I do the ULTRA secure of copying the password from 1P and pasting it into the Extension in Wavebox. It'll stay unlocked and functional for a good portion of the day, depending on the 1P settings and computer usage.

It hasn't bothered me enough to track down the version of Chromium used in the build of Wavebox I'm using and see what the latest Chromium build is. I'm assuming it isn't always the same as one of the Chrome builds, and even if it were the same, I have stable and Dev installed but not beta, so there are a bunch of variables (does the Wavebox team beta build pull from a specific Chromium release channel, is the version of any of the Chrome versions.

I do always check to see if there's an update to Wavebox, the 1P extension, and the 1P app, but that's the extent of my troubleshooting. Most of the time, there isn't an update.

I'm still happy that 1P "finally" works with other browses, like Wavebox, so I'm OK with this relatively minor inconvenience.

• Hello @ethomp,

Thanks for your patience, understanding, and keeping 1Password up-to-date. This ensures you'll receive the latest features when they are available from 1Password.

I just wanted to add a note here, if you missed my earlier comment:

If you weren't aware, we're looking to make more improvements on this front. You can read more about this here: Extending support for trusted web browsers — 1Password Community

I have no additional details to share, but keep an eye on 1Password Releases for the latest news about implemented updates.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.