How can I get 1Password 8 on Mac to see vault in iCloud used by iPhone and iPad?

wadestaddon
wadestaddon
Community Member

I have somehow ended up with 2 vaults over time (Personal and Primary). Primary is the preferred and more comprehensive one and is on my phone and iPad as well as iCloud; both were on my iMac until I updated from 1Password 7 to 8 today and ended up with only Personal on the Mac. How do I get Primary to show on the iMac? My plan is to get everything down to having only Primary on all devices.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:How can I get 1Password 8 on Mac to see vault in iCloud used by iPhone and iPad?

Comments

• Hi @wadestaddon:

Thanks for reaching out. 1Password 8 only supports 1Password accounts, and doesn't support standalone vaults synced through iCloud, Dropbox, or other third party syncing services. Given this, you'd only be able to access your Personal vault in 1Password 8, not your Primary vault contained in iCloud. Generally speaking, we'd recommend migrating your data to your 1Password account, and you can do that by following the steps here: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

One of our founders, Dave, has written a bit here on why the future of 1Password is 1Password memberships: https://1password.community/discussion/129161/the-future-of-local-standalone-vaults#latest

Jack

• wadestaddon
    wadestaddon
    Community Member

The vault Primary in iCloud is a 1Password 7 vault - I use it on my 1Password apps on my iPhone and iPad.

• Hi @wadestaddon:

That's correct. As I mentioned, 1Password 8 (which is the current stable version of the 1Password desktop apps) is only compatible with 1Password accounts, and doesn't support standalone vaults. Because of this, we'd recommend migrating your data into your 1Password account, as 1Password 8 for iOS will only support 1Password accounts as well.

Please send us an email at support@1password.com, with a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/129665/how-can-i-get-1password-8-on-mac-to-see-vault-in-icloud-used-by-iphone-and-ipad , mentioning that you'd like some assistance migrating. You'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly support assistant, with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message to us and make sure it's gotten to our migrations team, who would be best equipped to help you migrate all your items from your iCloud vault into your 1Password account.

Jack

• wadestaddon
    wadestaddon
    Community Member

Thanks, I sorted it out finally. All good on 4 devices now. It does look great by the way, and the change finally forced me into doing some much needed housekeeping.

• Hi @wadestaddon, thank you for the update - and that's great! It's wonderful to hear that the issue is sorted and that your (newly spiffed-up account) is all set on all devices. If there's anything further we can assist from here, let us know. We'll be happy to help. 😃

• jghaines
    jghaines
    Community Member

It would be nice if 1Password8 detected the presence of a standalone iCloud vault and explained the "upgrade" process.

• atkins
    atkins
    Community Member

Following the incident with LastPass, I feel unsafe having all my passwords in one vault. Is it possible to get a standalone vault feature back?

• @jghaines

I'm sorry for the delayed reply. The 1Password 8 installer will detect any standalone vaults on your Mac and offer to migrate them to your 1Password account. 🙂

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    edited February 2023

@atkins

We don't have any plans to bring back old standalone vaults. If you're interested, our founder posted a great mini-essay on our decision to go all-in on 1Password.com here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

1Password protects your data using end-to-end encryption that uses both your account password and Secret Key: Why You can Trust 1Password’s Cloud Storage and Syncing

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.