strict host/subdomain for web logins

Options
zcutlip
zcutlip
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm sure this has been asked before, but a search didn't turn up anything useful.

Is there a way to configure a specific login item to strictly match a fully qualified domain, to include the host and/or subdomain part?

An example is slack.com where every slack gets its own subdomain. I might want one login to only autofill on my_company.slack.com, and another to ONLY autofill on my_friends.slack.com.

In most cases, I would want loose subdomain matching, but for a few cases, like the above, strict matching would be great.

I feel like there was a way to configure this in the past, but I'm not seeing it in the latest version of 1Password (and 1Password for Safari).

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hello @Zcutlip, thanks for this request. 👋

We don't currently have the ability to match a FQDN, but we do have an open request for it with our development team, and I have just added your comments to that discussion and a vote on your behalf. We can appreciate why this would be handy in a number of situations. Thanks for helping us make the app better yet - we'll keep the improvements coming and will do our best to impress you!

ref: IDEA-I-57

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

This is a duplicate of many, many, MANY threads on this forum because people have been asking for this for a decade. The clamor has only gotten louder as rival products with this feature pop-up, and 1P pushes itself as a business solution when developers are the group of people most affected by this deficiency.

Maybe one day this feature will finally be a priority for the team.

• Hi folks, the latest votes from @sveltemimemansion and @codmdu have been submitted; thank you for speaking up.

@andmade: we understand this could be a high-value feature for folks. While as a matter of policy we don't share features before their release (and I don't have any specific updates to offer on this at the moment), I can tell you that these requests are being heard and we're taking them seriously. And having released 1Password 8 across the major desktop platforms over the last year, we're in a great position to deliver yet more features and improvements and general goodness to make 1Password even more useful for you. I hope the updates to come will delight you. 😀

• swwright
    swwright
    Community Member
    Options

Add another vote for me. This is super annoying. It makes the browser extension useless for several domains I am on everyday. Then it gets worse on the iPhone because you can see even less data and get a completely useless screen like this:

• MarcoAtTaiko
    MarcoAtTaiko
    Community Member
    Options

Please, we use so many subdomains por development, and it is awful to keep searching to the right entry. In our shared vault we have many passwords and we try to name them as clearly as possible, but it has limits.

We need this ASAP

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure I've requested this before, but I'll pile on again if it helps get more votes and internal traction.

• ann0n1PCommunity
    ann0n1PCommunity
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a recent convert from lastpass, and am bummed that 1password doesn't have this ability to configure subdomains as unique logins. Some examples:
    --In my industry a number of different companies post jobs on a single host site, with each company having a different subdomain and each requiring a different login.
    --I'm accessing government secure sites for a particular state, and while they of course have the same domain, each site has a different subdomain requiring a unique login.
    There are things about the 1password interface I like better than lastpass, but an inability to handle subdomains is not one of them.

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

Also a big +1 vote from me

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thanks folks!

• Kris_Shannon
    Kris_Shannon
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, This is the biggest anti-feature in 1P 7.

When using 1P on my iPhone I nearly always have long lists like @swwright showed and have to click the "1Password..." option to have any hope of choosing the right one.

I also regularly choose the wrong entry to autofill on my Mac but it's not as bad as it is on the phone.

• Hey @Kris_Shannon:

Thanks for your feedback, I've added you to the issue Peter mentioned above.

Jack

• EvilCow
    EvilCow
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here!
    I thought 1PW was supposed to be the best, but the last 2 PW managers I've used have this feature and it works great.
    Any chance we can get an estimate of how this request is ranking?

I mean, surely it has to be more important than: "We’ve added additional animations to the lock screen." (Taken from: 1Password for Windows 8.7.1 "What's new")

• rwatt
    rwatt
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 from me. I've been wanting this feature for years.

• MarkusZ
    MarkusZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @all,

I want to vote +1 too for "Subdomain Support" :)

Thanks a lot,
    Markus

• Hi folks, thanks for these requests! I have added a vote on behalf of everyone here for whom we did not previously have one. Thanks for letting us know this matters to you!

• Jocke76
    Jocke76
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi

Add another vote for this!
    I think it's strange that some people write that this has been wanted for years. I recently upgraded from 7 to 8 and in ver. 7 this worked.
    At least in the old Firefox plugin, the one that didn't add a 1password icon into html-elements on the page. I have 40+ sites that uses the same domain, but different subdomains and this worked like a charm.

• Hi @Jocke76:

1Password in the browser and the 1Password classic extension you're talking about look for matching domains slightly differently, so as such, they will show slightly different results. I've added your thoughts to the internal discussion Peter referenced as well. Thanks for sharing!

Jack

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

Hey - I'll +1 this. Do I get +10 since I asked 10 years ago? ;-)

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

You know what they say, @esquared - "vote early and often". 😉

Seriously, though - I'm happy to file the vote on your behalf, and have now done so. Thanks for speaking up!

• ianjukes
    ianjukes
    Community Member
    Options

I am definitely a +1 for this too 😊

• You're in there ianjukes

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

Big +1 from me, i've been wanting this feature for years also.

• Corbot8000
    Corbot8000
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

+1 as well, need this feature, especially as the self-hosting community is taking off! I have a lot of docker containers running different services off the same domain. Maybe you could select something within a login item to "strictly" associate it to a subdomain/website?

This would be a killer feature for me!

• Hi @B0rg / @Corbot8000:

I've added you both to the internal discussion we have on this. Thanks for sharing!

Jack

• zcutlip
    zcutlip
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa just checked in on this, and I didn't expect this request to catch fire

I'm assuming implementing this isn't as straightforward as it may seem. Thank you to 1Password support and engineers for listening. It's nice to feel heard.

Zach

• Hey @zcutlip:

You're very welcome! Hopefully we'll have some improvements on this in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.