Cannot Install 1Password 8 - Please upgrade to the newest version

Options
pcarrier
pcarrier
Community Member

Hello,

I had the 1Password 8 beta installed before and I wanted to install the non-beta version. So I uninstalled everything related to 1Password on my Mac but when I install the 1Password 8 from the official website I have an error saying there was a newer version installed on my computer and I have to upgrade this one. But I have nothing installed at the moment, I don't understand how the installer can know this.

How do I fix this please ?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @pcarrier:

Because we sometimes make database changes in the beta version that haven't made it to the production version just yet, the local database that the beta version has created is newer than the stable version will recognize. There's two different options you can take.

If you'd like to just wait until our next production release of 1Password, you can re-install the 1Password 8 beta, and choose the production release channel in Settings > Advanced. You'll stay on the beta release until our next production release comes out, and you'll be on the production version of 1Password from then on.

If you'd to switch immediately, rather than waiting for our next release, you can do that too. The steps here will reset the data for 1Password 8, which will allow it to grab a fresh version directly from 1Password.com. After insuring 1Password 8 has been installed, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app). Verify that you can see all of your items in the browser. If there is anything missing then stop here and let me know.
    2. Download and save the Emergency Kit for your account: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    3. Reset 1Password 8 for Mac by opening the Terminal app on your Mac and then running the following command:
    mv ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Data/1password.sqlite ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Data/1password-old.sqlite

1. Add your 1Password account back to the 1Password for Mac app.

Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble along the way.

Jack

• pcarrier
    pcarrier
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Jack, I will certainly try option number 1. It seems the most simple.

Have a nice day

• Dave_1P
    Options

@pcarrier

On behalf of Jack, you're very welcome. Please let me know if you run into any other issues and we'll be happy to help further. 😊

• pcarrier
    pcarrier
    Community Member
    Options

Yep I installed the beta version and chose the production channel and it worked like a charm. You can close this ticket if you’d like.

Cheers

• Thanks so much for the update @pcarrier !

This discussion has been closed.