1Password 8 seems to be breaking cursor keys in Safari

Options
andynormancx
andynormancx
Community Member

It happens when Safari has been running for some time, I haven't pinned down an exact time, it can certainly happen within an hour of use.

What happens is that Safari stops responding to cursor keys in a normal way. Pressing the up arrow for example just takes you to the top of the page and pressing down doesn't move the page.

Closing Safari and reopening fixes the issue, for a while, until it happens again. It happens in the latest Safari Technology Preview release as well.

At the same time it also impacts BetterSnapTool's ability to resize the Safari windows as it normally does. See the discussion here on the BST forum:

https://community.folivora.ai/t/bst-safari-stops-responding-to-cursor-keys-and-window-stops-snapping-resizing/27010

Maybe related to accessibility enhancement mode being set ?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• andynormancx
    andynormancx
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, now I know it is 1P8 causing it, I can reproduce it at will:

• launch Safari
    • cursor keys work to scroll the page
    • summon 1P8 with cmd-\
    • cursor keys no longer work to scroll the Safari page
    • close/relaunch Safari
    • cursor keys work to scroll the page

So the reason the timing felt random, is that it was only happening the first time I summoned 1P8 after each relaunch of Safari.

• Hi @andynormancx:

Thanks for reporting this. We're actively investigating, and I've added you as affected to our tracking issue for this. Hopefully we'll be able to get this sorted out soon.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#15151

• jeremygale
    jeremygale
    Community Member
    Options

This affects me as well. I thought I'd also mention that seemingly any keyboard shortcut that uses arrow keys in Safari no longer works with 1P8. Example: Go To Next Tab Group which is Command-Shift-Down.

• Hi @jeremygale:

Thanks for reporting this. I've added you to the issue I've referenced above.

Jack

• elastomer79
    elastomer79
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing this. For me, this primarily affects scrolling, but doesn't affect eg moving the "text cursor" in Google Docs. As helpfully mentioned above, the issue immediately goes away upon disabling the 1password extension.

• andynormancx
    andynormancx
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

It seems like this is fixed in beta 8.8.0-94, even though the release notes don't reference it.

• Hi folks, thanks for letting us know your experience with this. I'll follow up with our developers to determine the current state of the issue and will hope to have more for you soon.

• DancingTable
    DancingTable
    Community Member
    Options

@andynormancx can you confirm it is fixed after using it for a day or so now?

• andynormancx
    andynormancx
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I can tell, yes. My cursor keys have not stopped working since I updated. I have found that I had already trained myself to avoid using the cursor keys though…

• Alex.C_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi folks!

I can confirm this issue has been fixed and the fix is available in our most current beta. You can download the beta from our website.

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

Alex

This discussion has been closed.