Upgrading from 1p7 to 1p8 yesterday, safari extension did not show up.

Options
Cueball
Cueball
Community Member

I followed directions and troubleshooting directions, restarting 1P, Safari, and Mac, but 1P for Safari does not show up in the list of extensions in Safari > Preferences > extensions. I’ve had to resort to copying and pasting every username and password manually from 1password.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3 (20207)
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Cueball

Just to confirm you've installed 1Password for Safari and it's visible in your Applications folder, and you've launched it at least once, correct? If so, let's try refreshing Safari's extension registrations. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.

2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac:

3. Paste the following into Terminal (single line) and then press enter to run the command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

1. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.
  • Cueball
    Cueball
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, Tommy, I had done all the above, no love. But then I ran the Terminal command you suggested, and presto! All good now. Thanks so much!

• Cueball
    Cueball
    Community Member
    Options

...but after restarting my Mac, 1password had disappeared from Safari again, and I had to run the terminal command again to get it appear in Safari prefs > extensions again so I could reauthorize it. What’s going on here? I like the version 8 interface, but not this hassle.

• Lozza7
    Lozza7
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I think I have the same issue. I installed 8.7 and now the 1Password extension has disappeared. This is not useful! To be clear it is as the person above explained, it is not showing in the list of extensions in my (up to date) Safari. This version is not as user friendly....

• Hi @Cueball and @Lozza7,

While we work to get to the bottom of this issue, we've added a troubleshooting option in the latest version of 1Password for Mac that should make this a bit easier for you if you're still running into trouble.

First, make sure 1Password 8 is up to date by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8
    2. In the menubar, select 1Password > Check for updates and follow the onscreen prompts

Next, you can follow the steps below to make 1Password appear in Safari's extensions menu:

1. Open 1Password 8 for Mac.
    2. Click the Help menu and choose Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension.
      • This will rebuild the launch services database and allow you to enable 1Password under Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

Let me know if that helps.

Alex

• Lozza7
    Lozza7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Alex. I actually had some advice last week about running a command that fixed the situation. (And at that time, the "Fix missing extension" was not an option on my troubleshooting drop down)

• Glad to hear that sorted it for you @Lozza7! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.