1Password 8 keeps stealing focus on Mac

Options

Comments

• Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply to this thread. If you're still running into this issue then, as a start, please update to version 8.9.15: How to keep 1Password up to date

If, after the update, you can still reproduce the issue then I'd like to ask you to send in a diagnostics report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• richkline
    richkline
    Community Member
    Options

[#BLZ-56842-592]

• OzMikado
    OzMikado
    Community Member
    Options

[#RRF-36421-281]

• Thanks @richkline and @OzMikado,

I can confirm we've received your emails. We'll take a look and get back to you as soon as possible. 🙂

ref: BLZ-56842-592
    ref: RRF-36421-281

• thedwb
    thedwb
    Community Member
    Options

[#VMB-43451-922]

• Thanks @thedwb

Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: VMB-43451-922

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I'm also having those issues and it's quite annoying.

Sadly I cannot send you any reports (not allowed within my company to send diag reports to 3rd parties) but can you give all of us an update, if you find the issue why this is happening?

• richkline
    richkline
    Community Member
    Options

I have installed some of the nightly builds, and they, unfortunately, haven't solved this issue. More support would be really valuable because the product is currently unusable. I would be happy to get on a call with an engineer if you would like that.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If I hide (Cmd-H) the 1Password app, then hover my mouse of the Mac's toolbar icon, 1Password will auto-raise one second later.

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

@1password Team - any update?

• whoopingcrane
    whoopingcrane
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I've been using 1Password 8 for a while, but it has only started doing this for me since a couple of weeks ago.

• 1Password: 8.7.0 80700098
    • Browser: Safari 16.3 (17614.4.6.11.4, 17614)
    • Browser extension: 1Password for Safari 2.7.0 (20238)

UPDATE: Updated to 1Password 8.9.15, and it has stopped happening.

As an aside, while on 8.7.0, the "check update" thing in 1Password said there were no updates. I just went to the website and downloaded an installer.

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

For me it does still happen with 8.9.15 - not that often - but it does happen.

• bkonicek87
    bkonicek87
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy is there any way to unsubscribe to a thread I created? I haven't had this issue since I reinstalled with the non-beta version months ago.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@bkonicek87

The best I can think of is altering your settings in your community profile. You might want to leave the others enabled or you might miss something you want to be informed of.

Email is the first box and pop up is the 2nd in my screenshot.

• rkboni
    rkboni
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth I was on 8.9.15 and seeing this very frequently (on Mac OS 12.6.2). I just got the 8.10.0 update and at least in the first few minutes, it seems to not be happening. If it comes back, I'll update here and send a new diag report to the support email as requested upthread.

• rkboni
    rkboni
    Community Member
    Options

On a related note @ag_tommy, what are the default "Show 1Password" and "Show Quick Access" shortcuts? I unset those thinking the shortcuts might have been the culprits. Thanks!

• @rkboni :

The default keyboard shortcuts are:

• MamaLeone
    MamaLeone
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated my MacOS to Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68) and this problem has suddenly appeared. Reinstalling/rebooting has had no effect. Super annoying!

• elisatems
    elisatems
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I have this problem on 8.9.11 under Ventura 13.1. The app steals focus every few minutes; at these times a gear icon appears in the menu bar, then the 1Password icon disappears temporarily from the menu bar, and then the 1Password menu briefly appears before focus is returned. It appears to be an Automator workflow, though perhaps 1Password uses the gear icon for its own purposes unrelated to Automator.

But I cannot update 1Password. The Updates dialog tells me that version 8.10.0 is available. When I click the Update button, I see "Downloading update", and when complete it tells me that 1Password will update the next time I restart the app. However, when the app comes back up, I find it is still version 8.9.11.

• @elisatems

Is your user folder on a Volume apart from the OS? If so, this is a known issue the team is working with. At this time the only known workaround is to download the full installer and run it manually. Please let me know and I'll get your report added to the affected user list if needed.

• elisatems
    elisatems
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy:

Yes, my home directory is on an external drive. Is the issue you're referring to the inability to download updates, or 1Password stealing focus?

• @elisatems

The inability to install updates. I'll get you added to that tracking issue.

The stealing focus in my experience is a disconnection or blocking of communications. In most instances this can be helped by the following.

1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.
    4. Quit 1Password. While looking at the main window (locked or unlocked)
      • Press Command and Q 1Password should lock and close.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.

ref: dev/core/core#17423

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Second try (first post was somehow deleted?!).

I think it could be country related.

I'm from Germany and don't have the Command + \ as my main autofill shortcut. In first time it was set like this, but did not work, as we don't have a '\' at our keyboards.
    So I selected CMD + #

But every browser does have different shortcuts and CMD + # sometimes doesn't work and sadly most of the time I have to click with my mouse the extension button to come to Touch ID unlock - Autofill Shortcut does not work.

Another point: How can I reset the shortcuts to default settings?

I think those focus stealing stuff is somehow correlated to the keyboard shortcuts in combination with different keyboard layouts within different countries.

With 1Password 7 I never had any issues - they all just appeared within 1PW8.

• elisatems
    elisatems
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy : Done, thanks. We'll see if the problem recurs.

• bpgraham1
    bpgraham1
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening with Ventura 13.2.1 and 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055)

• RyGuy
    RyGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Mac OS 12.6.1 and 1Password 8.10.0. This issue is maddening! I use Chrome and I can barely type two words without having my Mac beep at me because 1Password took over. It looks like it has been over a year since this problem popped up. How is this not fixed yet??

• martybrack
    martybrack
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem of 1Password stealing focus from the browser. I'm typing away and suddenly get an error sound and 1Password has opened in front of Chrome. It just happened while I was creating an account for this forum.

I've tried the fix given in this thread. Tried pretty much everything I can think of. The issue always returns. Is there anything I can do to resolve this once and for all?

• @bpgraham1 @RyGuy @martybrack

If you're continuing to have trouble please send us an email and someone from the team can look into your specific situation. The post below covers how to send a request. The team may need to gather logs from your devices.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/675078/#Comment_675078

• bpgraham1
    bpgraham1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the offer. I just ended up uninstalling the plugin from Safari and disabling the application and the issue stopped happening. I only launch 1Password when I actively need a password, it's simply too unpredictable to leave running all the time as a plugin or as a background app.

• The offer is always there and we'd like to help resolve the troubles, so if/when you're so inclined please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.