Reverted to IP7 from 8

Options
necktilt
necktilt
Community Member

I’ve been trying 1P8 for a week or two (I use it every day) and I’ve decided to revert to 1P7. Been using 1P for nearly 13 years, these days mostly on my Mac mini and Macbook Air but also on iPhones and iPads. I tried 8 as a test on the laptop.

I’ve always been happy with updates through the years. However, I found 8 rather clunky. I was confused between using the menu bar icon and the Safari icon (my default browser). I found some passwords would not be provided. There was more.

Eventually, I gave up and, as I say, reverted to 7. I’m pleased to have back, for example, the one-click Pin On Screen facility, which seems to require at least two clicks in 8, and is called something different.

I know different is not necessarily bad. I’m all for progress in apps, and that has always been so with 1Password in my experience. This one, though, feels to me like it was maybe rushed out. I have no evidence for that, of course, but I wanted to make my opinions known.

I’ll keep an eye on the changelog and look forward to having another go at 8 later on.

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: 7.9.4
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Given my note at the end there, I thought I would prepare ahead and bookmark the changelog for 1P8 so I will be able to see what changes are made in the (hopefully near) future, before dipping my toe back in. But I can't find one. I'm looking for the 8 version of the 7 list here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7. Can someone point me to it?

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @necktilt, thank you for sharing this feedback with us, and I'm sorry that this was your experience.

There are indeed some big changes in 1Password 8, and we've tried to make these helpful changes (for example: the new Universal Autofill!), but we also recognize that there are some areas where we can improve, and we welcome your feedback on that. We appreciate your willingness to give 1Password 8 another try further down the road, too.

Per your request: here's our Releases page, where you can find information on the latest Production release (which is what you get by default when you download the app from our website), as well as the changes in the newest Beta channel versions.

You can consider the Beta channel a kind of "peek ahead" at what's coming to upcoming Production versions of 1Password, pending the required testing. The release notes for all of these, Beta and Production, include a list of the specific new features, fixes, and improvements for each version.

I have put in a vote on your behalf for the "pin to screen" feature, as well. Thank you for letting us know that this is valuable to you. 😃

Thanks again. We greatly appreciate hearing from you, and hope that updates to come will impress you.

ref: IDEA-I-651

• Tbanger9
    Tbanger9
    Community Member
    Options

I also want to revert back.... I feel very annoyed when I use version 8. I've also been a long time subscriber and even have a Teams account. But now I am seriously questioning alternatives for the very first time.

• tle
    tle
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Same here.. I'm a long-time 1Password user since version 3 or 4, beginning on iOS and loving the UI/UX on the mac. However with 1PW8 I'm not happy at all and am strongly leaning towards Strongbox, which is only available for macOS/iOS but my personal assessment still gives it a strong YES for native mac app, using macOS APIs like AutoFill, open-source KeePass format, separate and offline databases (which is a must-have requirement for my work/employer)

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks PeterG for replying.

While I appreciate you “putting in a vote on my behalf” for the Pin To Screen feature, I would prefer something tangible, like telling us here if the feature will be returned or not. A simple yes or no will do.

Thanks for the link to changelogs. More precisely, I see the list for 1P8 MacOS here …

https://releases.1password.com/mac/8.7/

… which includes the latest 8.7.1 changes.

• comnexis
    comnexis
    Community Member
    Options

Version 8 is really bad, I'm going back to 7as well, so many times it does not even work. And I wanted to keep my browser auto fill and write click when I want to fill in from 1 Password, which you cant do any more. zMany time version 8 does not even ask to save or brink icon up to autofill. terrible release

• Hi @necktilt,

While the Pin on Screen button is not in 1Password 8, (as 1Password mini was replaced with Quick Access) you can still accomplish the same behaviour using Quick Access. Once you invoke Quick Access and find the item you're looking for, you can "pin" it to your screen by pressing ⌘+O. This will open a small window with the item's details that looks pretty much the same as the Pin to Screen window from 1Password 7. I have included a short video below that demonstrates this:

I hope that helps.

@comnexis

That does not sound right at all. I'd encourage you to reach out to 1Password Support over email (at support+forum@1Password.com) so we can have a closer look.

Alex

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Alex–S. I appreciate you showing the scheme with your video. In fact, this underlines my point: it now takes more clicks and more faff in 1P8 than it did in 1P7, which had that oh so convenient "Pin On Screen" button. I'd like that back, please.

• woodmeister50
    woodmeister50
    Community Member
    Options

Change is all well and good, but when the fundamental functionality is broken or unreliable, that is bad, bad, bad.
    2/3 to 3/4 of the websites I visit will not even auto fill and I need to manually copy and paste username and password. 1Password does not even recognize the login for these support communities which is really sad.

even more, websites that can autofill, before I can I am more often or not hounded by a dialog asking if I want to allow 1Password to work with those sites and got tired of it an just clicked allow all sites which is not a good thing either!

I really regret upgrading.

• Hi @woodmeister50:

1Password for Safari needs access to all sites to recognize and fill pages. The previous 1Password extension included with 1Password 7 also had similar permissions, it was just not explicitly asked for. About 1Password browser permissions

Jack

• ninjafoodstuff
    ninjafoodstuff
    Community Member
    Options

I feel like v8 is a big improvement in the situations where 1password generally "just works", for example when it correctly and automatically recognises fields. However, these situations are now completely broken for me:

• Password field is recognised but nothing I do actually inputs the password (v7 workaround is to open 1password mini and copy the password, then manually paste it in) for example, relogging into ocado.com
    • Need to provide password for application or VNC (v7 workaround is to open 1password mini and reveal or pin the password)
    • 1password doesn't recognise that I'm trying to create a new password (v7 workaround, open 1password mini and edit existing login then copy and paste new password / use the password generator and paste)

These are probably fixable in one way or another, but overall I don't feel like v8 represents a streamlined experience for me in its current state

• pverhoye
    pverhoye
    Community Member
    Options

For me it was the slow response when I dit cmd+\ to fill my creds. In v7 it just works. In v8 it sometimes worked after 10 seconds (or felt like it).
    1Password is something that should be snappy, breezy. Not clunky, slow. If I wanted that, I could use LastPass :D

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Just noted that 8.7.1 does not seem to have dealt with any of the problems I experienced with 8 before I reverted to 7. Will keep hoping and checking...

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

1P people, any news on reinstating the "Pin On Screen" button?

• Hi @necktilt, no news on this at the moment, although we've got a vote tallied for you on this feature and do appreciate the feedback. I can see why this one would be useful and will be happy to advocate for it as well. 🙏

ref: IDEA-I-651

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Peter. I do hope that these nebulous "votes" that I see being tallied by 1P people all around this forum aren't just a way of looking like you're doing something. It would be good if they translated into something real.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@necktilt

I can confirm that our developers pay close attention to the feedback being provided on these forums. 1Password 8 for Mac has already gone through a significant number of changes and improvements based on user suggestions and we plan to continue to refine and polish the app. You can keep track of the changes made to each new version here: 1Password Releases

Thank you again for your feedback and support. 😊

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave, for the info.

I'm keeping an eye on the main and beta update tracking pages to see if/whe I want to come back to 1P8.

I was concerned to see in another post here a 1P person saying: "With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates."

You may want to reconsider that, given that I would guess there are quite a few paid users of 1P, myself included, who may be reverting to or sticking with 1P7 for some time yet.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@necktilt

That statement is indeed true, we're focusing our development resources on 1Password 8 moving forward. You can still use 1Password 7 for now but I hope that you'll give 1Password 8 another try in the future. 🙂

@Wonder828

I'm sorry that you're disappointed, we're always interested in learning how we can improve 1Password. I've responded to your other thread and I'm happy to continue the conversation with you there.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks fir the clarification, Dave. Is it significant that you say you will now be focussing "development resources" on 1P8, as opposed to 7? You wrote in the other post here (the one titled "The application 1password.app is not open anymore") that 1P7 would not be "supported" going forward, which to me seems a more worrying prospect for anyone sticking with 7. I wonder which version is correct?

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see restoration of the pin-on-screen button in the list of new stuff for 8.7.3 in the changelog at https://releases.1password.com/mac/8.7/, which is disappointing. Also, what happened to 8.7.2? I don't see it there.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Still not seeing (in 8 main or beta) any of the changes that I and many others here would like to see, so I'm sticking with the excellent 7 at present—although 1P's declaration that 7 is now unsupported is worrying.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

As it looks like I'll be sticking with 1P 7 for the foreseeable, it would be good to have some clarity from someone at 1P about whether they do aim to support 7 or not going forward.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, Dave at 1P said they will be focussing "development resources" on 1P8, as opposed to 7, but then also that 1P7 would not be "supported" going forward.

Again, it would be useful to know which of those subtly but importantly different versions is officially correct.

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

@necktilt

I'm sorry for the confusion. With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I recommend that everyone update to 1Password 8 as soon as they have the chance.

You can track changes made to 1Password by taking a look at our release notes page (as you and I both mentioned above): 1Password Releases. While we seriously consider and discuss every feature request submitted, we can't guarantee when, or if, a particular request will make it into the app.

-Dave

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I understand that you want users to upgrade to the latest version, but unlike with every other update previously, I don't feel that 1P8 in its current form is ready for me to use yet. I could be wrong, but I don't get the sense from what I've read in other posts here that I'm alone in this view. That's why I would ask 1P to reconsider this policy.

One other question—is there any reason why this thread has not been shifted up the list to its proper place in time/date order? Despite the last two posts and this one, it's still registering July 2 as its latest date. Just curious as to why it's "stuck".

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure it can't be because you want to avoid having critical threads near the top of the list.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, as I suspected, just a blip!

This discussion has been closed.