Where do you set the default vault for new items?

Currently running the beta on Mac and all new items get added to the wrong vault, and I can't find where this setting lives. Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 80800104, on BETA channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.5 beta

Comments

• snozdopsnozdop
    Community Member
    edited June 1

There isn't a setting to set a default vault to save into any longer. You choose which vault to save into when adding a new item using the vault selector next to the Save button.

Have a read through the thread below for discussion on and reasoning for this change:

https://1password.community/discussion/124089/lost-functionality-in-v8-set-default-vault-for-new-items

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member

Hi @leefishermusic, thanks for the question. This does indeed work differently now - you choose a vault to save into. This was done partly in order to prevent accidental saving into shared vaults unintentionally, but we're taking customer feedback on the current approach too. I'll look forward to learning your experience with it.

• Charles_HaynesCharles_Haynes
    Community Member

I would like a way to save to my shared vault by default. My partner and I both find the current default quite annoying. I can't tell you the number of times we've said "Hey, where's the password for " "It's in 1 Password." "I don't see it." "Oh, it must be in my private vault, hold on. Ok, shared. Sorry about that, stupid default." "Thanks. Yeah."

It was amusing the first few times but it's gotten really old. I can understand why you don't want to make it the default, or even make it possible to do by accident, but could we please have a way to say "yes, I really really do want to share things by default."

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @Charles_Haynes

I appreciate the input. Do you have any items that you do not wish to share? The reason I ask is that I have an idea which could help if you want to share everything. In that case it may make sense for you and your wife to share an individual membership. If you do have some items you want to keep private / unshared the best I can recommend for the moment is to check which vault the item is being saved into before saving it, but I can see how that can become tiresome. I'll do my best to advocate for improvements here.

Ben

• Charles_HaynesCharles_Haynes
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben . I can see how having a single individual membership would solve the sharing problem, but it's convenient to have separate 1 Password accounts to keep track of things like different investment account logins, different bank account logins, different credit cards and so on. I can see how we could still name them differently but it's also convenient that we have our own logins. If at some time in the future we wanted to stop sharing the passwords having two memberships simplifies that.

I appreciate your trying to figure out a solution that works for everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file