Purchase From MAS or Site?

Options

I know this may be kind of frequently asked question, but I still cannot decide weather which place should i purchased from.
Read the info from severals tread and found that seems only the MAS version support iCloud Sync (Nice!), but also noted that the MAS version can be easily deleted by launchpad and will lost the data file even backups (oh no!).

Which store should I purchased from?
Any recommendation/suggestion please?

umm... Is it more reasonable to purchase directly from the Agilebits site prevent Apple's limitation?
or is there any great benefits that purchased from the MAS??

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Removing 1Password from Launchpad does not remove any user data. There aren't really any big differences right now, but as you mentioned — unless Apple changes the rules — iCloud is only available to App Store apps. This will come into play once 1Password 4 for Mac is released.

Additionally, if you have multiple users who share an Apple ID, the licensing terms of the App Store are very similar to our previous Family License. From Macworld's Mac App Store FAQ:

"You can install apps bought from the Mac App Store on any and every Mac that you personally own and use."

"Apps don't check to see if you've using an iTunes-authorized Mac. They can ask you to verify your Apple ID and password, but that's a single check and it's just to verify you are who you say you are. Once your identity is verified, that's it. There's no authorizing or deauthorizing or counting of different Macs."

"Apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

http://www.macworld.com/article/156962/2011/01/mac_app_store_faq.html

In short, the upgrade path we have carved out in the Mac App Store is (1) less expensive than it has ever been previously and (2) still has quite permissive licensing terms.

I can't think of any circumstances offhand in which a MAS license would be any more restrictive than our Family license.

Also, if you purchase on the Mac App Store we can always give you a license key for the version from our website if you decide you want to use it instead. It's not feasible to do it the other way around.

All of the above are pretty compelling reasons to purchase on the Mac App Store if you ask me, but ultimately the choice is yours. :)

• zodiarts
    zodiarts
    Community Member
    Options

I finally purchased the MAS plus Windows bundle.

Thank You so much for useful advice, khad :D !

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help. Thank you for your support!

Enjoy 1Password, and let me know if you ever have any additional questions or concerns. :)

• wegotoeleven
    wegotoeleven
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Khad!

I'm interested in acquiring a license key for the website version of 1Password, as I have purchased the MAS version; how would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wegotoeleven,

We'd be more than happy to help you out here, I'm just curious as to why you are wanting to switch your license - as Khad mentioned above, there are very few differences between the versions.

• LenKuffert
    LenKuffert
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    Still a bit confused about family licensing despite Khad's reply above. I have the AgileBits version of 1Password 3, and have been testing the beta of version 4. I recall that my original license covered my family as well. My wife had no problem using v3 on her mac, and the kids are soon going to be schooled in the art. The Apple ID thing is a bit worrisome, however. When I upgrade to version 4, can I still get a family license through the Mac App Store even though family members have their own Apple IDs?
    thanks for any clarification/advice,
    Len

p.s. somewhere on your site, I've seen the American spelling "center" for "centre".

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LenKuffert,

Thanks for asking about this. You can certainly share a single copy of 1Password (or any app on the App Store) among a family, but you would need to use a single Apple ID to install and update any app (including 1Password) that you use in that manner. In your case it may be easier to just upgrade to a 1Password 4 for Mac Family License when it becomes available on our own online store.

p.s. somewhere on your site, I've seen the American spelling "center" for "centre".

Many on the team here live in the States including myself. :)

• LenKuffert
    LenKuffert
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the further advice. I'll go with the family option from your store. Hope all's well for you in the US. :)>-

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to help! :D

• wegotoeleven
    wegotoeleven
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

The MAS version of 1Password will only allow syncing via Dropbox if your Dropbox location is somewhere that complies with Apple's sandboxing restrictions. My Dropbox folder s within my Library folder, therefore, dropbox syncing will not work, and i'm not willing to move my dropbox folder :D

However - I've just downloaded and installed the 1Password 4 beta, which syncs via iCloud. It's kind of solved my problem.... but it's still a beta :D Do you think I'd still be able to get hold of a license for the non-MAS version?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wegotoeleven,

That's a perfectly good reason for wanting to switch to the website version. :) Please email the support team at support@ agilebits .com with a copy of your MAS receipt and we'll get you all set up through there.

If you let me know when you send the email, I'll keep an eye out for you so you're not waiting too long.

• wegotoeleven
    wegotoeleven
    Community Member
    Options

@megan Done! Just shot the receipt off now.

Thanks so much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, @wegotoeleven!

I'm on it :)

This discussion has been closed.