[Solved] Windows Hello doesn't work after Account Password change (some further hassle setting up)

Damnatus
Damnatus
Community Member

Hi,

after changing my Account Password I cannot bring Windows Hello to unlock 1Password.

I already have followed the suggestion posted here. Namely:
1. Latest version of 1Password
2. Made sure I can use Windows Hello to login
3. Turned off Windows Hello in 1Password and turned it back on
4. Turned off, closed app, reopened app, turned back on
5. Turned off, closed app, go to Sign-in options, reset PIN, started 1Password, turned back on.
6. Go to sign-in options, remove Windows Hello, close app, started 1Password, saw that Windows Hello was not longer in the settings, close 1Password, setup Windows Hello again, after being prompted by Windows Hello, 1Password says "That didn't work. Check your password and try again".

Do you have further suggestions I could try?

More background info:
The process of changing my Account Password was a bit of a hassle. I somehow made a mistake, then needed to reset through a family member (thank Omnissiah I had made sure there's a fail-safe) and after that I had trouble with getting the 1Password 8 app to work. At least I knew my Account Password was working because I was able to setup on my iPhone.

On Windows Desktop though, it let not log me in. My Password was rejected even though I made sure it was right (probably due to the changed Secret Key). I was not able to reset the app to get to the login window with Secret Key entry or add another account.

I even uninstalled 1Password 8 and when I tried to re-install the stable version, I was greeted with an error that I have had a newer version (as I use the beta). EDIT: I did not put the 1Password folder in %localappdata% in the bin!

But even after seeing where I worked not thoroughly enough: IMHO there should be an option for complete removal to have a "clean install" without dependencies. Because after install of the current beta, I still had my old setup present.

I needed to log in via the browser and was then able to setup automatically from there.

(But now Windows Hello doesn't like to play along nice. I am able to log into 1Password, but when I lock it, it still says that I first need to enter the Password to use Windows Hello (which I have done several times). It even shows the Windows Hello symbol and code prompt ("make sure it's you"). But whenever I want to open it via Windows Hello, it says "That didn't work. Check your password and try again".

This also happens with the extensions. They first offer me Windows Hello, but entering the Code brings up the 1Password 8 app that says that I first need to enter my account password to in order to use Windows Hello. When I then lock the extension (and app) the cycle begins anew.)

Interestingly, even though it's inconvenient, I'm not frustrated. It feels that I have managed to get an edge case and I'm positive it can be resolved.

EDIT: RESOLVED!

Comments

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

Should I drop a mail to support+windows@1Password.com or a beta specific one? (I saw another thread mentioning it)

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

I was able to resolve it by following the uninstall guide, specifically putting the 1Password folder in %localappdata% in the bin.

• Hi @Damnatus, congrats on resolving the issue, and my apologies for not making it to the issue sooner.

Generally, we try to keep our response times in the forums and email about equal, but in case it's helpful I'd recommend emailing us first about an issue like this in the future, since we're most likely to figure it out by getting diagnostics from your device.

I understand that the issue is now resolved by uninstalling (and I assume, reinstalling?) the app, but of course if anything further comes up, let us know and we'll be happy to help out.

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P ,

thanks for stopping by, much appreciated!

I know that y'all very active and fast in the forums. That makes it a very special and enjoyable place for someone like me, who just likes to read along and learn how you do support. Because you do so much of that in public and for quite a while now, it is a treasure chest whenever using search for looking into a specific issue or just out of curiosity.

This also why I chose to post in the forums. In case it might help others. I mentioned the mail-address because of your comment in the other thread regarding security specifics, so it would be apparent that I know the procedure.

And yes. The issue was resolved by moving %localappdata%\1Password into the bin and re-install to get the 1Password Account setup prompt.

I have wrote in the first post, but I really think adding an opt-in checkbox to the (un)installer to delete that folder and but the Important Message of the uninstall guide, that this "will remove all your local 1Password data from your Windows PC. You’ll still be able to access your data on other devices, and on 1Password.com." and if you want to proceed as confirmation request, would be helpful. It would even allow you to keep the logs and maybe put them in a subfolder of the logs folder that is not touched by the regular app in case of later debugging (I read in another thread that another user was not able to provide logs, because they tried to resolve an issue through complete uninstall with local data deletion and now they only can wait if that particular issue appears or not).

I hope this comes not across as know-it-all. I just enjoy how here is a response to feedback and that there is space for it and that motivates to think out loud.

(And now I sound like I just shill 1Password, but I don't. I just want to voice my appreciation for you and the Support Team as I also know it can be though at times)

This discussion has been closed.