TPM stopped working after restore

klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member

So i restored a macrium image taken at 9am at about 1pm, so only 4 hours difference. Unfortunately it appears to have somehow broken TPM in 1password. Use TPM module is checked, but greyed out now.

anyone had this happen? does a fix short of reinstalling or something exist?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

seems i was able to sort it out via all kindsa janky mucking about. almost aaaaalmost cleared the TPM in my bios but i was afraid of the potential fallout of doing so.

disabling windows hello and removing my PIN wasnt enough. uninstalling my fingerprint scanner wasnt enough. but doing all of the above and changing my windows account to a local account then back to MS account seemed to finally flip the switch.

sorry for the false alarm :P

• Hi @klepp0906, sorry for the delay here and thanks for your message. I'm happy to hear this issue with the TPM setting was resolved.

I can't say exactly what caused this issue, but many times a full reset/re-enroll of Windows Hello as mentioned will help resolve these issues. We're continuing to work on and make improvements to Enhanced Windows Hello with 1Password 8.

Have a good one!

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hello @klepp0906,

glad to read you resolved the issue.

When I had a similar issue through a different cause, deleting the 1Password folder in %localappdata% helped me to get 1Password working with Windows Hello again. I throw that in just in case the problem comes up again in a future restore and as another possible way before resetting the TPM.

Of course with my solution one needs their Secret Key and the second Factor (if enabled) besides the Account Password, preferably on a second device or by prior logging in to 1Password.com/.ca/.eu to set up the app again. This is actually another neat thing about the 1Password Sync Service.

I also use Macrium and this is the first time I read from this issue. At least now I know another way if I run into it and my solution won't work. Thanks for sharing!

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

thanks for the replies gentlemen. ill definitely keep the appdata folder in mind. in all honesty it is probably the less cumbersome solution. appreciate the info!

• Hello again @klepp0906, you're most welcome and thank you @Damnatus!

As @Damnatus mentioned, it is of course important to have your account credentials available to you (including another device for 2FA as needed). The best place and easiest way to access those credentials are through the Emergency Kit. If you have not created one already, please save a copy and record your account password on it. This way you'll always have access to your account. Should you lose your Secret Key or account password, we cannot restore it for you or help you recover your account: Get to know your Emergency Kit

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

yea im covered with all my mobile devices and my laptop having 1password installed :)

• Thanks for the update, @klepp0906! 😀

This discussion has been closed.