Autosubmit submitting too early in Chrome

Options
om3ga777
om3ga777
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Since installing the extension from the Chrome Web Store I experience severe bugs with the extension:

Besides the problem, that the iFrame doesn't go away, but multiple clicks produce multiple items in the library, I hardly ever can fill forms anymore. I press the shortcut, I see 1P filling the form, the page refreshes and on 90% of the pages I try to login I get some kind of error message, that either the username/password combination is wrong, I didn't fill the user or password field, etc. etc.

What happened?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What happened?

Good question. We can't reproduce any trouble like what you are describing, but we'd love to figure out what is happening on your machine. The only thing that really changed is the distribution channel. Having the same extension in the Chrome Web Store doesn't really change anything about it.

What versions of (1) 1Password, (2) Chrome, and (3) the 1Password Chrome extension are you using?

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

(1) Version 3.8.21 (build 32009)
    (2) Version 27.0.1453.110
    (3) 1Password 3.9.17.90

I'll be happy to provide any information possible, or maybe websites I have trouble logging in.

I saw a lot of threads regarding the problem with the iFrame, but the login troubles obviously haven't been mentioned yet ...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So the issue you are referring to in this thread is not "that the iFrame doesn't go away"? Please do let me know the URL where you are having trouble filling so we can take a closer look. The issue with the iframes is fixed for the next beta version of the extension. It's not out yet, but it will be soon. Could you actually switch to it now? That might help the filling issue, and you would then be in the beta channel for when the iframe issue fix is released. Here is the direct link to install the 1Password Chrome Extension beta:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/chrome.html?beta=y

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for not being clear! I have two issues right now: The iFrame issue (covered in a lot of other threads) and a login issue (that I have not seen covered in another thread). This thread should be about the login issue.

The problem is, that the auto-submit is activated before the extension has filled the password field - disabling the auto-submit feature "solved" the problem.

I just installed the beta, the auto-submit bug is still there. I couldn't test the recurring iFrame yet, but will report back.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for not being clear! I have two issues right now: The iFrame issue (covered in a lot of other threads) and a login issue (that I have not seen covered in another thread). This thread should be about the login issue.

Cool. That's what I thought. I think you were clear, I just wanted to make sure. :)

I just installed the beta, the auto-submit bug is still there. I couldn't test the recurring iFrame yet, but will report back.

The iframe issue will still be there. The fix hasn't been released (even in the beta channel) yet.

The problem is, that the auto-submit is activated before the extension has filled the password field - disabling the auto-submit feature "solved" the problem.

What's the URL?

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

It's every URL! :( Twitter, Facebook, Google - the login data is always auto-submitted before the browser realizes, that there is a password in the password-field. And then the login fails. Auto-submit off and everything works again.

Is there anything I can do? I re-installed the extension multiple times in the last days and this behavior still exists. Is there some other cache directory? Or even re-installing Chrome?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hm. I don't think we have a single other report of this from any other user, but hopefully we can resolve it on your machine. :)

If it's just in Chrome, I would recommend installing the new beta version of the Chrome extension to see if that helps.

We just released a new beta version of the 1Password Chrome extension: 3.9.18.BETA-2. Since you are also having trouble with duplicate autosave bars in Chrome, it should definitely resolve that. Please try installing it and let me know if you are still having trouble with autosubmit.

Before you install the beta extension you will need to remove the existing extension from Chrome first.

1Password Chrome extension BETA

Note also that you will have to install the beta version in a different manner than the the stable version. Follow the instructions on the download page which list the steps and provide screenshots. The steps include dragging the CRX file from Finder onto Chrome's extension list.

If you are still having trouble, does it make a difference if "Animate filling" is toggled on or off in the extension Settings > Logins?

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

Hello khad,

the new beta solved the problem for some sites, but not all. vBulletin boards and Yahoo are both examples where I have to disable autofill for not getting an error. I haven't seen the reappearing iframe for some time now, though.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

vBulletin boards and Yahoo are both examples where I have to disable autofill for not getting an error.

This is really strange. We still can't reproduce it. Could you possibly email us a video of what you are seeing?

support@ agilebits .com

I'm not sure that it should really have changed anything, but we did also release a new beta version of the extension just in case it does make a difference.

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting.

I do have that problem in Safari, even more "severe" there (nothing is filled at all).
    However, I just re-read your previous post and tried again disabling auto-fill ... everything now works.

I made a video and I'm sending it right now.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks!

• logosdev
    logosdev
    Community Member
    Options

I have what I assume is the same problem, using OSX Mavericks + Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63

The yahoo sign in page (https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym&.intl=us) fails to correctly auto-populate 90% of the time. Bear in mind, I am ONLY talking about the feature where 1Password opens the site and fills out the form automatically. If I am already on the login page and then ask 1P to fill in the fields it works fine. By the way, I do have animations enabled and it is not enough to slow things down. Furthermore, even if I "never submit", the fields are not populated.

I can see what is happening. The page loads and 1Password starts to fill in the fields. Rapidly thereafter, the login page reloads its background and seemingly resets both the username and password field. After the disruption 1Password does not try again, and both fields remain blank. I realize that in some sense it's "yahoo's fault", but they are a major site and we pay money for your software.

I propose one of the following solutions, from most palatable to least:

• Understand that certain sites have this issue and silently fix it under the covers

• Add a user-configurable per-site delay between page load and form fill

• Add a user-configurable universal delay between page load and form fill

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @logosdev,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Yahoo login page. I was just able to create a successful Login using these steps:

• Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

Now, I do have 'animate form filling' disabled. If this new Login still doesn't work, please try disabling the animation feature and see if that makes a difference. :)

• Skip Addison
    Skip Addison
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for logosdev's comment on 4 Jan. Numerous sites exhibit the behavior where 1Password fills in the fields correctly (I can see it happening) as the page is loading, and then they get cleared immediately. I suspect the login page has a Javascript "onload" handler that clears the fields after 1Password fills them in. My most recent example is mint.com. This problem has gotten more common recently.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Skip,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with filling. Can you tell me what version of 1Password and the 1Password Chrome extension you are currently using?

Please also send along a few URLs that exhibit this behaviour so we can do some testing on our end. :)

This discussion has been closed.