1PW in major crisis situation?

Options
Chris90
Chris90
Community Member

Imagine you get into any major crisis and have to leave the region/home from one minute to the next (pandemic, earthquake, Putin invasion, 9.11. V2 ...). Further imagine that you can only take what you are carrying with you on this escape. Now imagine that on this escape you will lose or be relieved of your mobile phone and/or the devices on which 1PW is installed.
After a long adversity, you will finally arrive in a strange but safe place. There is free internet here!
How do you contact your family/friends, etc.?
Do you remember their phone numbers or email addresses? I don't...
How do you log into your email account, that 20-digit password is safe and unreachable stored in 1PW... I don't know.
How do you install a new mobile Phone with iCloud ID inaccesible in your 1PW? I don‘t know…

Does anyone have a good idea how to prepare your an your family for sutch a situation, besides always having the "1PW Emergency Kit" with you or having it tatoot in your brain?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Chris90

Glad to hear you're thinking about what threats you may face and how you could mitigate those threats. It may be worth considering storing a copy of your Emergency Kit which does not have your account password filled in with some trusted friends/family and memorizing their phone number.

If you have 2FA enabled for your 1Password account, you would also want to consider storing the TOTP secret/QR code on or with that document. If you use a hardware key for 2FA, it may be prudent to purchase a second one, authorize it, and store it with this backup kit. Then of course you'd have to figure out how to get said hardware key from the backup location, but that's another matter entirely. 🙂 The likelihood of these types of threats may outweigh the benefits of hardware-based 2FA — that's something you'd have to consider for your particular situation.

Ben

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

@Chris90 something else you could consider, use a service such as https://webcrypt.it/

That allows you to create an encrypted string that you can store publicly. In your Facebook bio for example. To everyone who sees it, it’s a random string of characters, symbols and numbers. But when you copy and paste that back into the site it reveals your secret key (or any message you desire). Then your master password should be in your head! Or you could include a hint in your message.

• sspaus
    sspaus
    Community Member
    Options

This thread reminds me of this story where someone had data backed up in an offsite location as well as at home. But due to a very unique set of circumstances to do with weather, he still nearly lost everything, even though the data was in multiple physical locations: https://www.documentsnap.com/dont-ignore-rule-321/

This discussion has been closed.